Should I take a day off exercise?

Options
I have exercised for 5 consecutive days but today am really, REALLY tired and fatigued. I think that I am coming down with something and could possibly fall asleep during a run. Should I take a day off or am I just making excuses?

Replies

• Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Take the day off, or do somehting less hard on yourself like yoga or calesthenics
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Depends what kind of exercise I guess. I try not to run on consecutive days as I sometimes get injured. Maybe you should try a different type of exercise. On the other hand if your body is telling you it's tired it may be a good time to have a rest.
    Hope you are not coming down with something.
    Take care.
    x
  • katem78
    katem78 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    you should take a day off!! your body is asking to rest!!!

Just listen to it!!!
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You have to listen to your body. If you've excercised for 5 days, take a day off. Rest and if you feel okay tomorrow get the trainers on. G'luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    definitely take the day off and rest.
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as you but its been Sunday, Monday and today, aching like mad all over, Think I must be coming down with something as feeling pretty rubbish!

I'll still take the dog out as normal but that's my limit until I feel better :sad:
  • kathy40468
    Options
    I don't think your making excuses sometimes you jave to listen to your body when we get exhausted we tend to get sick more and when your sick you need rest.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I get knee problems when I don't rest.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a rest, yes!
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have exercised for 5 consecutive days but today am really, REALLY tired and fatigued. I think that I am coming down with something and could possibly fall asleep during a run. Should I take a day off or am I just making excuses?

I make a point of having a Sunday off from exercise but that's my personal preference. When I started I was worried that
    I would lose the will to go back again on Mondays but this hasn't happened for me. In fact, I often end up by going out for a walk
    (my workout) anyway.
    I think the thing is, to be good to yourself. If you feel like a day off, then take it.
    Hope you are feeling better!
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    Day off? Hell no, suck it up and get'er done...

Well, maybe just this once ;-)

In all reality I was on a program where I was only strength training 20 minutes 3x a week and stayed in great shape by controlling my intake... so, ya, don't sweat it
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Always give your body between 1 to 2 days rest.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I think your body is telling you it needs a rest, but if you still want to "exercise" why not go for a walk. It's gentle and relaxing while still giving you a boost. :flowerforyou:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I think your body is telling you it needs a rest, but if you still want to "exercise" why not go for a walk. It's gentle and relaxing while still giving you a boost. :flowerforyou:
    This!
    When I give myself a day off, I have more energy when I next exercise. I don't want my exercise to be one more chore I Must do every day.
  • AlexieB
    AlexieB Posts: 3
    Options
    I listen to how my body feels. I do really intense workouts, sometimes I have the energy to do it 4-5 times a week and sometimes I can only do 3 times a week. If my muscles feel tired then I skip a workout or walk uphill, effective but not so intense.
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I always take Saturday off, as that's our rest day in our home.... but I always try to do at least 30 minutes minimum the other days :)
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    NO! there is no days off!! i lift weights 6 days a week(and run 15min) and on sunday i go for a long run...
  • sixxx
    sixxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Take a day off if you feel you and your body needs it.
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    NO! there is no days off!! i lift weights 6 days a week(and run 15min) and on sunday i go for a long run...
    Well done superman :drinker:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    This!
    When I give myself a day off, I have more energy when I next exercise. I don't want my exercise to be one more chore I Must do every day.

Me three for this - I do not take full rest days with no exercise, but I turn the intensity way way way down so that I don't risk injury.