What should I expect? -half marathon training

Options
I signed up for my first half marathon training team that meets for the first time on Saturday. I am wondering what I should expect? And if there is anything I should do to prepare, and take with me.

Replies

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Speculation on my part but group run that increase the distance of the weekly run gradually. Larger groups might split up into smaller teams of similar paces. Just go prepared to run and perhaps bring a bottle for fluids.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a water bottle and probably a towel for after the run. The first day out will be pretty light going.

best of luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sheltondq wrote: »
    I signed up for my first half marathon training team that meets for the first time on Saturday. I am wondering what I should expect? And if there is anything I should do to prepare, and take with me.

i'd prepare the same way as you do for any other run
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i might bring cash too. most groups i've run with or follow get coffee after a run.
    bring water, towel and a willing attitude. don't be afraid to find the person who seems "in charge" and introduce yourself.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Definitely water.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you haven’t been to a running store to be fitted for shoes you are going to want to do that. Buy 2 pairs if you can. As your runs get longer, good socks and a good running bra are going to be important. If you are running outside, a hat and sunscreen.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you haven’t been to a running store to be fitted for shoes you are going to want to do that. Buy 2 pairs if you can. As your runs get longer, good socks and a good running bra are going to be important. If you are running outside, a hat and sunscreen.

If OP is doing a half, I'd hope they aren't completely new to running and have all these things already.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options

If OP is doing a half, I'd hope they aren't completely new to running and have all these things already.

While I wasn’t completely new to running, a half was my first race. It was also the first time I picked up many of the items I mentioned above.
  • sheltondq
    sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Thanks for the ideas. I have a couple pairs of running shoes that I use interchangeably. I also have socks and sports bras that I like for running. Unfortunately my hair is too big for a hat unless I wear a visor or braid it up.

I haven’t figured out what I want to do about water yet. ( when I run at home I run past my house so i can get water, or have a friend bring me some) but I won’t be training near Home. And I don’t have a water bottle for runs.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Does the group provide water? The training group I run with (from Fleet Feet) puts water on the course. If I'm running on my own or with friends I'll sometimes carry a bottle with my (I have a Nathan hand held).
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Just prep for a normal run assuming that you're already doing enough volume to hang with the group. You might want to talk to the team coordinator about what the training program will look like so you know how much time to budget for each session and to figure out if your conditioning is up to snuff.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    you can carry, there are things like the nathan hand held, racing belts and hydration vests. i prefer a trail belt for the half distance as it has lots of pockets for gu and keys and id and phone and bags for the dogs.
    my hands swell so i don't want to carry. and i don't think i need a vest yet.