Just cancelled Weight Watchers to come back to My Fitness Pal

Options
So, I started doing Weight Watchers in April and managed to lose about 10 pounds over the last three months. However, that price tag was just getting to me. I felt horribly guilty and so much pressure if I went over my point goal and I felt like that was counterproductive to a healthy mindset, so here I am. Back at MFP. My question is, for those of you doing the free MFP version (like me), what keeps you incentivized to lose weight? Do you have little motivators for yourself? That is something I did love about WW, is the charm system. I loved getting those little charms on my keychain. I guess I could get my own charms, and may, but I was just wondering what you guys use to motivate yourself. Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance, but the same goes for weightloss: I'm not incentivized to lose weight. I have a drive to do the things that in turn makes my body use up stored fat: Eat food I like, but less. Move in ways I like, every day. Doesn't sound like much, right? That's the whole point.
  • tonkacrew3
    tonkacrew3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't pay much attention to the community her (aside from my friends). My incentive has been following "The Full Plate Diet" You can download the book for free. I'll give a link. I don't get anything from talking about this other than the joy of helping someone else. This way of eating is the easiest, cheapest and healthiest way I have found. I don't go through my day hangry and I am losing slowly and in a healthy way. I exercise as I can and just the fact that this way of eating has been so easy has been enough motivation. I also noticed a bulletpoint journal on pinterest that so eone made in a dollar store journal that kept track of the small goals they met each week or so. When the goals were met, they had a small reward (i.e. a charm, a good book to read, a smoothie from someplace not home...etc.) Things like this also keep me going. Oh...and humor! I try and paste a funny or motivational meme on my page daily. It helps me not be SO serious about my weight and keep things in perspective. I hope this helps! ☺
    Here is the link for the book:
    Uugh...next to add it in a new reply...sorry!
  • PADMADORA928
    PADMADORA928 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just canceled my WW account because my goals were very different from people in my group. I wanted to lose weight yes but I love working out especially with heavy weights. So I haven't seen my weight go down that much in the past 2 months but could see and feel the changes. Good luck to you.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    In the past I tried little rewards for every 10 pounds- things I wanted, but likely wouldn't spend the money on otherwise. Honestly, I find the best motivation is being able to fit in clothes I haven't fit in for awhile, buying a smaller size, doing an activity I previously found difficult (due to being out of shape) and realizing it's gotten easier, etc. or even just looking in the mirror and realizing how much better I look. The material rewards I built in for myself didn't really compare to that stuff! To each their own though. I'm not knocking anything that works for you.
  • Starbunny11
    Starbunny11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to think up some incentives for me to work towards and having trouble. I really want a new fitbit, but they are so expensive...My current fitbit is the One and has been having trouble syncing, etc. I'd love for that to be an incentive for when I get to my goal weight, but that seems like something that would be helpful for DURING the process.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    If you really want a new Fitbit put money in a jar every weigh in to save toward it. I am finding the new smaller sized clothes are much more fun to shop for.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    My biggest motivator is seeing the differences in myself, but I also enjoy a good reward system so I have set out things I want at each 10 pound loss.
    180 - New Sandals
    170 - New Underwear
    160 - 2 New outfits
    150 - 2 New Outfits
    140 - $500 shopping trip

I am probably going to have to change this up some. I am down 19 pounds right now and finding my pants are all really unflattering in the bottom. I don't own one pair of pants or shorts that I have to unfasten anymore.
  • klorben
    klorben Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also just quit WW and went back to MFP. I’m actually a fairly healthy eater, I just have horrendous portion control—so those 0 point foods were doing no good for because I have no problem eating tons of chicken breasts and eggs.

I never went to meetings, so I never got charms. I just keep a list in my phone of little rewards for certain milestones— pedicure, new workout clothes, etc etc.
  • kathleenneriducharme
    kathleenneriducharme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was a lifetime WW member for about 9 years. I'm now about 7 pounds over my goal and I stopped going to meetings mostly because the leaders that I liked left. I'm trying to lose that 7, and promised myself new workout clothes when I lose half of that. It's not a lot of weight to lose, but I haven't been motivated to watch my portion sizes. I have been working out, but those portions are killing me.
  • CerysDub
    CerysDub Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I often bought myself something a little too small and then hung it on the back on my bedroom door so I walked past it everyday, and then tried it on occasionally... when it actually fits that feeling is amazing!!!! Doesnt have to be expensive.. one of mine was a cheap pair of jeans in the next size down for example! Worked really well for me, I went from a size 20uk to an 8uk over the course of the year, and when I fit into one piece of clothing, I went out to buy the next lol.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    tonkacrew3 wrote: »
    This way of eating is the easiest, cheapest and healthiest way I have found. I don't go through my day hangry and I am losing slowly and in a healthy way. I exercise as I can and just the fact that this way of eating has been so easy has been enough motivation.
    Isn't this exactly what MFP, including the general consensus of the community, stands for?