3500 debunked?

I was just watching a video online who said that the 3500 calorie to a lb of fat is a debunked myth and it's actually closer to 3600? Anything in this?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    0 no!
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Sarcasm level is quite high today :D
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    On top of what others said, it's an average. If fat was graded like gasoline, not everyone would get the same octane rating. There are few exact numbers in weight management (unless you use a for profit program, then they have some exact numbers for you to pay :) ).

True true

More info: https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/3500-calorie-rule.html/
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I'm surprised someone made a video on a whopping 100 calorie difference. It would be different if it were a difference of 1000 calories, but making a video for such a minuscule amount is just clickbaity.
    Basically 99% of fitness youtubers lol That's how they make their living on youtube...with clickbaits.

Yup. I roll my eyes when I see things like "Five types of cardio that are making you gain weight!" but then I feel bad for all the uninformed people who fall for things like that or waste their time watching the videos. Oh well.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Oh my! Stop the presses! New info! 100 more calories to lose per pound! Thanks for the morning laugh, OP! Great way to start off the day!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2018
    What if you are building muscle? Muscle is 1600 cals a pound? Cost more to build it than that. If you really want to get into fine details, denovolipogenesis cost more with carbs. Protein is not easily stored as fat. Fat on the other hand... easily. 3500? Good enough for me....
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Another interesting article I found on the topic. This estimates a pound of body fat actually contains anywhere from 3,436 to 3,752 calories.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/calories-in-a-pound-of-fat
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    :lol: I make probably 200 calories in errors every day, and I'm pretty obsessive with my digital food scale.

It's not an exact science. Luckily "close enough" is good enough.

Yep, as an old saying we have down here, "good enough for government work."
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Another interesting article I found on the topic. This estimates a pound of body fat actually contains anywhere from 3,436 to 3,752 calories.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/calories-in-a-pound-of-fat

Jeez...now what do I do? A 491 deficit? Or 536? Somebody please help! ;)
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    There's some dedicated Woo'ing going on in this thread not sure why LOL

Either way it's a tiny difference in any case.