Stronglifts.. twinge in back and other things

Options
LJay89
LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
So I am doing stronglifts 5x5 and today I did 32.5kg squat, 21kg OHP and 50kg DL

I felt a twinge in my lower back/hip which radiated down my leg. it wasn't "painful" but it was there. I think it my be a trapped nerve? I read that weight lifting can cause inflamed nerves.

Any thoughts? Could my weight be anything to do with this? I am 80kg and 5'1 tall.

Also, I feel like eventually I am just going to stall on the lifts and its all getting very heavy I am wondering if I should perhaps reduces the weight for a bit and do more reps?

I don't know the twinge is bothering me and I just feel going for strength I am going to eventually get to a place where I can't physically lift anymore.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you had anybody look at your form when lifting? I'd suggest doing that, whether it's in person or by taking a video of yourself.

If you need to progress more slowly, do that. Don't focus on not being able to increase at some point. That happens. Linear progression doesn't last forever. At that point, assuming you've done whatever deload protocol the program includes, you may want to move on to a different program. Or, you could switch now. All Pro's is another beginner's program that has you lift the same weight, adding reps, for several weeks.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to "deload" cut back on the weight you're lifting and build up again. I found the progression in 5x5 to get kinda quick causing an overload which you might have experienced. Cut back to your weight from 2 weeks ago and continue per the program, see how that works.
  • LJay89
    Options
    Thank you. I will definitely look at form (worked with a PT) and I'm going to spend some time perhaps doing lower weight with higher reps
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " perhaps doing lower weight with higher reps" Understand that this is not following the program. (Not that you absolutely HAVE to follow the program, but since you're using it...) If you "deload" you are still doing 5x5 just at a lower weight and then increasing the weight again in conformance with the program. Get the free app for your phone, it does make it easier to follow and keep track of your progress.
  • LJay89
    Options
    I do have the app. I get that but I just want to give my back a break. I might look at deloading. Thanks
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    LJay89 wrote: »
    So I am doing stronglifts 5x5 and today I did 32.5kg squat, 21kg OHP and 50kg DL

I felt a twinge in my lower back/hip which radiated down my leg. it wasn't "painful" but it was there. I think it my be a trapped nerve? I read that weight lifting can cause inflamed nerves.

Any thoughts? Could my weight be anything to do with this? I am 80kg and 5'1 tall.

Also, I feel like eventually I am just going to stall on the lifts and its all getting very heavy I am wondering if I should perhaps reduces the weight for a bit and do more reps?

I don't know the twinge is bothering me and I just feel going for strength I am going to eventually get to a place where I can't physically lift more.

Probably nothing to worry about. As long as it doesn't get painful. Things happen in training and the thing not to do is panic and nocebo yourself.

You are correct. You will eventually stall out if stay on any program. I would chose to switch to 3 x 5 or another program as soon as the stall is very near and not drop weight on 5x5. I would only deload on the 3x5 once maybe twice. It's not about reps, it's about useful intensity. If you lower intensity even with incteased reps it's not increasing your useful intensity. Therefore you would lose strength.

Eventually everyone gets where they can't lift more every session. That means you're ready for more advanced programming. A novice program typically lasts for 9-12 weeks. Dragging it out more does nothing but waste time if your goal is strength.
  • ollieoop1015
    ollieoop1015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jeepers your body is telling you something. Maybe you should just stop and get checked out before you do damage. Good luck. Lifting heavy is not for everyone
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    LJay89 wrote: »

I don't know the twinge is bothering me and I just feel going for strength I am going to eventually get to a place where I can't physically lift anymore.

First, find out if it was a one time thing or does it happen on your next session of whichever lift was aggravating it. If it continues, stop and find out what it is. If it isn't happening then lift.

Don't change reps or reload until you actually fail and then follow the deload process. There is no point in deloading before you actually need to.

It will get heavy and you will get anxious but trust the program.

My only caveat is that I am not a fan of 5x5 and prefer 3x5 but the same principle applies.