Trying to lose weight, stress eater

Options
So my family and I have been in a really stressful place for almost two years and it added up weight wise. We're finally in a place where I feel good enough to try to start losing weight but I'm super scared of failing.

I just want to be healthy and fit into a specific size more then losing pounds. :) Though dream goal is 160, I felt really strong at this weight.

Also working out for the first time in a year everything hurts xD. Looking for friends to motivate

Replies

• bloomelle
    bloomelle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation - I work long hours and travel - Stress eating is one of my biggest issues. Looking to get back on track and prepared! Feel free to add - would be good to support through those stressful times!
  • MsWax
    MsWax Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A busy working mom of 3 here. I'd love more "mom" friends on here! Sending you a friend request.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    A few things helped me with my stress eating when I was getting started.

1) I stepped up my exercise. First, it gives more calories to play with, so eating a little more isn't as derailing. Second, I find it really helps me reduce my stress levels. Slightly off-topic, but I'm also a boredom eater and keeping active means I'm not as bored.

2) I'm an introvert. Social gatherings are a source of stress for me. They are also, usually, a source of food for me. You can see the problem. What I've found really helps with the eating is deciding in advance what to have (if it's a regular thing where I 'know', the typical menu, I'll log what I specifically intend to eat. If I'm not sure, I'll allocate X number of calories for the gathering, try to look up a few common items in the database so I can get a ballpark idea of 'how many calories to a chocolate chip cookie/piece of birthday cake/jelly donut/etc' and go for it. Somehow, when I know I have "permission" to eat a brownie, it gives me the strength to resist the other items on the platter. Whereas, when I go in thinking to myself that I can't have ANY of the treats and I'm sticking to the fruit platter, the longer I'm there, the likelier I'll break down and have something, which makes me feel guilty, which stresses me, which makes me grab more pastry, which adds to the stress and guilt, which... yeah. You see where this is going. Figuring out that "A treat isn't necessarily a cheat" was a big help in not getting stressed over food and staying on plan.
  • jessmf2869
    jessmf2869 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am new and a huge stress eater! Anyone please add me for support!