Men struggling with excessive weight

Options
I've had a lifelong struggle with excess weight, and hit "rock bottom" in December 2010 after 2 hip replacements, heart attack, metabolic syndrome, through the roof cholesterol levels (my triglycerides were 1,609 at one point!). Through much family/friend support, honesty (that I had a problem with food), accountability, I've been able to shed 105 lbs. This is a lifelong journey for me, and I welcome any others who may be struggling or have struggled. We are not alone!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Well done in replacing the struggle with honesty, and succeeding!
  • dukeofthedeck
    dukeofthedeck Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Continued success on your journey.
  • terrichcombo
    terrichcombo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thank you kommodevaran and dukeofthedeck for your comments and encouragement!
  • terrichcombo
    Options
    grebber1, thank you for your honesty and having the guts to post! I can say that I've been there and done that, and truly get those kind of thoughts/feelings, "stinkin' thinkin'". It seems to be a much too easy thing to slip back into those negative, self-loathing thoughts. I think it's a great accomplishment that you have been able to lose 38 lbs so far - "just losing the little bit I have I already feel so much better. I already feel like a new man and everything seems so much better" Amen! Yes, it is a lot of work to do but it's so worth it. One day, one meal at a time! Thank you again, and keep on truckin'!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    The best part of losing the weight are the string of NSV's that come with each 5-10 pound loss. Little things like looser skin, a bit more muscular definition, less sore knees, an extra quarter mile, a belt notch change, etc. Keep going, it only gets better.
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Paying more attention to the nutrition side this time. All other times I wanted a quick fix and practically starved myself. Well... that doesn't work for very long. I gave up on that fad. How ever long it takes, it takes. I would exercise so much on so little that I was always weak and nauseous. Going about it a different way this time and giving my body what it needs. We shall see how this goes
  • sdanemrtn
    sdanemrtn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    32 years old, tipped the scale at 429, this morning. My rock bottom is where I am currently standing, but eager to make steps out of the rock, down here, and claw my way back. Would love to connect with you gents.
  • terrichcombo
    Options
    Welcome sdanemrtn! I've been at rock bottom and have done a lot of clawing my way back too...one step, one meal at a time. It's quite a journey but well worth the trip! Honesty, lots of support, accountability has helped - it's good to know we're not alone on this quest! Thanks for your honest post, and again, welcome!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    @terrichcombo @sdanemrtn

I highly recommend this challenge:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group

Its a good way to join a group of like-minded folks struggling to lose in a mildly competitive team organization. It's fun and I've found I succeed more when my results affect the team.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Good luck guys on your journeys, keep your heads up and stayed focused on the long term goal!
  • hoppgeorge
    hoppgeorge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I’d be happy to add you. Could use a few guys in the same boat on my friends list! Best of luck to you all! Add me if you like!