Weight loss with IUD?

Options
Has anyone had trouble losing weight with Mirena? I consistently counted calories and exercised for 2 months, but I didn’t lose any weight nor did my clothes fit any better. I’ve never had this issue before so I’m thinking it’s my IUD. I’m going to give it 2 more months, and if I still haven’t made progress, I’m going to get it removed. I gained a lot during pregnancy and can’t get it to come off!

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I've had two Mirena IUDs in the last seven years or so. I've never had any difficulty losing weight.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third Mirena. I've lost almost 60 pounds since this last one was put in. Given the small dose and the locality of the hormones, I've never been able (or had reason) to correlate the Mirena to my weight, or any other adverse side effect.
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to give it 2 more months with extremely strict weighing of foods before I throw in the towel. I read 5% of women experience weight gain, and I’m really hoping I’m not one of those because I love it. But I’ve never had issues with losing weight when working out and calorie counting before. Could pregnancy have killed my metabolism?
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Weight gain can happen with hormonal birth control. I have never found a type that works for me physically. You’re right, it’s rare, but definitely not so rare that it’s a shock!

Doctors aren’t always a sympathetic ear, but if you have a good one who listens to you, might be worth a conversation about the possibility that the weight is a BC side effect - or on the other hand influenced by pregnancy.

Good for you taking control! Hope the tracking efforts go well :smile:
  • cinnabondelights
    cinnabondelights Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena and never had problems losing weight, though I also agree with talking to your doctor about it- it might be different underlying problem.
  • Witchy379
    Witchy379 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've never had issues either. Getting them removed is no fun lol. I had issues because I wasn't weighing my food. Now that I do, I get results.
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Witchy379 wrote: »
    I've never had issues either. Getting them removed is no fun lol. I had issues because I wasn't weighing my food. Now that I do, I get results.

I was using measuring spoons/cups, but I just got a scale so I can start weighing everything. I’ll see if this makes a difference. It’s so frustrating to put in all that work for no results.

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have the Mirena IUD and have lost a total of 180lbs (so far). As you incorporate better eating and exercise habits, your periods can get a bit wonky (yay me - mine got very light).
    CICO still applies and works.
  • harrelsonlis
    harrelsonlis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gained 24 lbs in two months on the mirena. I already workout like a maniac, run half marathons, biking, weight lifting, and eat well. In fact I follow Isagenix, a protein shake nutrition company, that I had originally lost 30 lbs on, and suddenly weight stuck to me. Since I gained the weight, I’ve gotten really aggressive with workouts and eating, and got about 6 off. I’ve also been feeling hormonal as heck. I talked to my doctor and she said we are definitely taking it out. I have an appointment in three days. Hormonal birth control is not for everyone. It is a medication with side effects and if you have them, you don’t have to convince yourself just because others do not. Try hormone free IUD! That’s my next goal. Best of luck!
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am also on the mirena and have had it in for about 2.5 years. While I initially wanted to blame that for my struggle to lose weight initially, it really was just my lifestyle change. Once I really buckled down and started tracking all my calories, I have been able to start losing the weight (14 lbs so far in 4 months). The hormones in the mirena may make you want to eat more, but it really just comes down to burning more calories than you consume. Hopefully using the food scale will help you see where your issues may be.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem losing weight but mine gave me terrible acne so I had it removed.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Please do your research. So many things can alter the female hormonal balance pushing some of us into oestrogen dominance causing inadequate progesterone levels, the hormone which regulates menstruation. Our bodies are very complicated, needing to be prepared for pregnancy every month for up to 50 years! Copper is one mineral added to coils which can have severely detrimental effects on our bodies. Many of us suffer uti's and the like, too much copper can tilt us towards these thrush problems. In other circumstances it has been suggested were copper used for hospital door handles rather than the chrome ones, there would be far fewer hospital acquired infections. Even our modern environment works against us its full of perfumes, from laundry products, gasses and substances from furnishings, paint, carpets and other floor coverings which are so similar to oestrogens, nominated vito-oestrogens which also topple people into health difficulties. Oestrogen levels can underscore male infertility.

Please do your own research and protect your long term health, its not only about weight gain.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned that it's an estrogen imbalance, you can try taking DIM - it's a relatively cheap supplement derived from cruciferous vegetables.