Treadmill or elliptical

Options
I need advice does running on the treadmill burn more calories than an elliptical machine or is it the other way around

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Your intensity will probably provide better determination of which burns more calories. At a similar intensity, I would expect them to burn a similar number of calories. Which will you enjoy more? Do you have a reason to reduce the impact on your knees? Do elliptical machines put your feet to sleep? Which one has a better view of the TV, so you don't get bored?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Running burns more calories but the elliptical is easier on the joints, especially if you are really heavy. A rowing machine burns even more calories. It depends on what you prefer doing and which you'll do long term. Ideally, you can mix it up.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I give you the diaper answer: It depends.

It depends on how hard you exert and I can get very close to the same burn rate on either one. But, I notice that it's harder to slack off when jogging. In other words, you can really go soft on an elliptical, but there's only so slow you can jog.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I give you the diaper answer: It depends.

It depends on how hard you exert and I can get very close to the same burn rate on either one. But, I notice that it's harder to slack off when jogging. In other words, you can really go soft on an elliptical, but there's only so slow you can jog.

Unless you want to be one of those 'fail' videos on U tube! :smiley:
  • Elucy321
    Elucy321 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i say go with a spin class if you have one available in your area!! lol holy moly! They are insane and burn so much!
  • mholl15
    mholl15 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with Elliptical over treadmill and check this vid for proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wi6kARs7Us