Sweets before bed...

Options
I often want a sweet treat before bed, (usually halo top serving, a candy, ect.) But I wake up feeling more bloated in my belly than days I go without. I'm staying within my calories and am losing weight so I'm not complaining, just curious if anyone has any advice. Would chugging some water after help with the bloated feeling? Or do I need to just give up the sweet treat? Maybe eat it earlier in the day? As I said I'm losing weight and not complaining just would love to wake up feeling less bloated. Thanks all!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some people find that eating later in the day doesn't agree with them. It sounds like you may be one of those people (at least with sweets).

I actually eat my "dessert" with lunch, usually (for reasons of personal preference). Would that help satisfy your sweet tooth?
  • hodginx7
    hodginx7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @Maxematics, yes most evenings it's halo top, I will give it up for a few days and see if that helps!! Thank you so much for the advice.
    No, I don't feel guilty, I LOVE sweets and know if I was to never allow myself them I'd end up binging and messing with progress. I measure out my 1/4 cup of halo top or 9 Hershey's kisses a day and make sure I log them. I want to have a plan I can succeed with.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people don't tolerate sugar alcohols like erythritol (in Halo Top) very well. You might try tracking when you do or don't feel bloated to see if they're related.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I avoid late night issues with sweets by setting myself a cutoff point an hour before I go to bed. Gives me time to digest, I avoid the "sugar dreams" (mom always said if you have sweets right before bed you have crazy dreams), and saves me some calories if I get distracted and end up not eating it.
  • hodginx7
    hodginx7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll that's an awesome idea! I have always just had my sweets at night, but having them for lunch is great! I just crave something sweet each day and know if I don't have something small eachbday I'll eat everything in site!!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    hodginx7 wrote: »
    @Maxematics, yes most evenings it's halo top, I will give it up for a few days and see if that helps!! Thank you so much for the advice.
    No, I don't feel guilty, I LOVE sweets and know if I was to never allow myself them I'd end up binging and messing with progress. I measure out my 1/4 cup of halo top or 9 Hershey's kisses a day and make sure I log them. I want to have a plan I can succeed with.

Okay, good. I agree; I'm definitely a "treat per day" person as well. I hope the Halo Top thing solves the mystery but at the same time I'd feel bad if that's it. It always stinks finding out something you like may be causing something like that to happen to your body. Please update your post when you find out!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those who can't tolerate sugar alcohols very well so I generally stay away from them. As a consequence, I've gotten really good at learning how to incorporate a reasonable yet satisfying amount of real sugar sweets into my day, which I enjoy better anyway.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm with other folks who suggest that it may be Halo Top specifically, and not nighttime snacking in general, that's causing your bloated feeling. I know some folks like Yasso, which doesn't have erythritol. I haven't tried it, but it might be a better option for you if you can't have Halo Top.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance it could be a dairy intolerance?
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I save enough cals each day to allow myself a small piece of choc (33g so not THAT small) before bedtime. I savour every nibble of it. If I haven't got space for it in my day I feel deprived.