Losing weight at 35

Options
I’m a male, 35 y/o. Is losing weight tougher at this age or is that all in my head.

Let’s here some success stories

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head....

Perhaps you are more sedentary than you were when you were younger?
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'll be 32 soon and though I think losing was easier a decade ago I don't think its THAT much harder. I think my biggest struggle now is fitting in the time and energy to focus on my health while dealing with so much more stress in my life...
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It may be easier since you are more mature and can see the big picture. It's hard to give up instant gratification in favor of reaching your long-term goals.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'll be 32 soon and though I think losing was easier a decade ago I don't think its THAT much harder. I think my biggest struggle now is fitting in the time and energy to focus on my health while dealing with so much more stress in my life...

Not at all- I am very active but I believe you can lose weight at 35 (any age, really) just trying to rally up some success stories

• mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Whoops quoted wrong person. Anyways I’m sure y’all figure out who I responded to
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm female, but I lost 160lbs between the ages of 33 and 35, it just took some dedication and making sure I took the time to put myself first by exercising and logging food. It was actually easier than when I was younger, and I maintained it fine until injury and medication caused me to gain some back. I'm 39 now and losing again just fine by doing the same things I did 6 years ago. :)
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I began last July at 34 & am now 35...
    Not sure I really have a point of reference though as I had never seriously & actively tried to lose weight before now. The last time I lost anything significant was probably in my early 20s but really, it was due to stress & an insanely physical job - not a lifestyle change.

Currently sitting at 84lbs down (lightest I've ever been as an adult)) with 25 to go til first goal & overall, I've found it almost rudely easy(not a total walk in the park, but so much better than I had conjured up in my head ie: straight up torture!). So much so that I kick myself for all the wasted years of low energy & the pain weight related problems brought me.

Sure, there are days where it really IS a struggle to workout or to resist the temptation to just eat a load of cake. Low cal substitutions have been invaluable for me as well as finding foods that fill me up. Treats are a must though & I will make them fit if I really want something (as opposed to just thinking it would be nice)!
    The mental side has been harsher on me I think...feel like I've not changed any as a person but how the world perceives & reacts to me can be starkly different...there's been many a head scratching moment! :D
    No matter what is thrown my way though, all the "bad" is so much more manageable compared to being morbidly obese & I'm so glad I chose to get up everyday & "do"

All it in all, it's a bit like a jigsaw. All the pieces are there but connecting them can take time before you see what the picture is...baby steps helped me immensely with this. Hope you find some strategies to help along the way & make the whole weight loss process fit for you. Best best luck!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    That was about he age when I noticed the old weight loss system didn’t work. The old system was watch what I eat and run a couple of miles everyday. The pounds would disappear.

New system is count calories, eat in a deficit, be patient.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    "Losing weight is harder as we age" is all in our heads. Habits form, but they can change, too. It's all about attitude. Go to the success stories board for success stories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I’ll be 37 next month and have no problems losing. I know people on here in their 60s who lost with no problems.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    "Losing weight is harder as we age" is all in our heads. Habits form, but they can change, too. It's all about attitude. Go to the success stories board for success stories.

I'm 59 and have lost 115 lbs so far. ..... it's all in your head. ;)
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do it. A good diet and exercise plan and more importantly, the desire to achieve it, will take you far.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    In your head. I'm 41 (will be 42 later this month) and I find it easier now that I'm older. I started my weight loss journey at 38, so far I'm down 180lbs and counting.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I lost pretty easily at age 39 and then ran a couple bulk/cut cycles over the past few years. I'll be 44 in September and have found it all to be much easier at this age. Mostly due to knowing myself better and being more discerning about information I read. Plus, having MFP really simplified everything.