Yoga as only form of strength exercise

Options
Does anyone else do only yoga daily for strength? I also walk daily but at 57 using weights just aggravates all my body's aches and pains and I end up with very cranky joints. Also I have a lot of arthritis. But my body loves yoga. I guess I'm worried my muscles will not get enough work doing only yoga and walking.

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Body strength excercise is very good strength training. If your body loves yoga then stick with that as your strength - always look to progress though, if you want to increase mobility and strength you've got to push yourself into the harder vinyasas or hold positions longer.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I graduated with a girl who now owns a yoga studio. She is 50 years old and is one of the fittest and most muscular woman I personally know. If you doubt whether you can be fit and muscular doing yoga, google her - Tahnee Lingscheit.
  • ollieoop1015
    ollieoop1015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I feel better already. I will definitely stick to yoga.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great! And there are always options to make it more challenging as you progress: different types of yoga, holding poses longer, using props to get better stretches, more challenging poses, etc. You could also consider working some pilates or other bodyweight exercises into your routine too!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    using weights just aggravates all my body's aches and pains and I end up with very cranky joints

That might be due to the program you were on. Which program were you following?
    Typical yoga moves usually aren't as thorough as weights for gaining actual strength (not to be confused with endurance, mobility, etc).
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of yogis with more strength than I have and I hit the weights regularly. Some of those moves take extraordinary strength, control, flexibility and endurance. But like others mention, always strive to progress in difficulty if you want to gain strength.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    So why do you think you need you're muscles to get more work? I'm just assuming here, but from your post, sounds like it's more pride than a physical or health need. And yea...Im projecting here! LOL 6 years in the Marine Corps, and 2 motorcycle wrecks, and I still get down on my 47 year old body (going on 97 it feels like sometimes) not able to do what I use too. I keep reminding myself that good health and enough muscle tone to be able to be active and do stuff (walk, kayak, landscape) without pulling something or being sore for the next week or two is all I need at this point in my life. Sucks getting old, but better than the alternative option of taking a dirt nap 6 feet under! :)
  • Angielosingitagain
    Angielosingitagain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! And definitely stick with it and it is stregnth building due to holding body weight. If you want you can try new poses to help increase stregnth (if you look online there are tons of options) or go to different classes with different instructors do get more variety of movement. the great thing with yoga you can go as intense or mild as you would like! (: