How to stop being hungry?

Options
When I started MFP I spent a couple of weeks eating normally and tracking everything to see what I was eating and see what I could cut out. I was eating up to and over 3000 cals a day and with MFP I've cut that down to 1700 a day. Problem is cutting out a third of my useaual intake plus extra exercise has left me constantly hungary! I realise that this was going to happen but I'm trying to change my lifestyle not just diet for a couple of months and I can't see how I'm going to do it if i'm going to be hungry forever.

I think one of my problems is lack of protein, I'm a vegetarian thats hates nuts and beans which is a little awkward! I'm considering protein shakes but would that make me start 'bulking up' muscle? Because I don't want that!

Any other suggestions as to how to keep the hunger at bay? Will my body just get used to the amount of calories I"m now consuming?

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Buy some Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. Twice a day, mix a tablespoon into a tall glass of water and drink up. Its sort of nasty at first but you get used to it quick. Its so good for you and gives you an energy boost and makes you not hungry anymore.
    It seriously worked WONDERS for me, its amazing.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard... but try to eat more protein. Eventually (usually about two weeks or so...) your body will get used to the lower intake of food, and your stomach will shrink some.

It was SO difficult for me, as well, but once my body adjusted... I couldn't believe I had been shoveling THAT much food into my mouth! XD
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat spaghetti. I don't like a lot of whole wheat pastas, but the spaghetti was really good - and filling. My first thought was beans, but if you don't like them..... hmmm. I have found a recipe for beans that I do like, so you might try different ways to find one you might like. Also, if you don't like nuts themselves, have you ever tried Almond flour? It might taste a little like an almond, but does not have the consistancy of 'nuts'. Do you like peanut butter - another filler item - if I'm still hungry, I can eat a spoon of it and water and that helps with hunger as well. Also, I like the Fiber One 90 products. I eat one with a bottle of water, and that seems to help for hunger as well. Good luck - just keep trying different mixtures and you will find something that works for you.
  • aimgirl
    aimgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Chobani yogurt. It's filling because it has a lot of protein. Good luck!
  • jk051861
    jk051861 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Drinking a protein shake will not bulk you up. Lifting heavy weights will do that to only 5% of women. So erase that worry from your mind. I forget the brand, but banana is a really good flavor. Also, you might consider vitamin drinks like Ensure and Boost to get extra nutrition.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Buy some Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. Twice a day, mix a tablespoon into a tall glass of water and drink up. Its sort of nasty at first but you get used to it quick. Its so good for you and gives you an energy boost and makes you not hungry anymore.

A cup of peppermint tea will do the same thing and tastes good.

OP -- You need to figure out the right foods that will stay with you for longer periods of time. Look at your protein, fiber and fat intake. A combination of the three will keep you from being hungry all the time. I believe my diary is open. Feel free to look at it. I honestly don't ever feel really, really hungry on what I eat -- even with a lot of exercise.

And I eat REAL food.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Try eating 6 smaller meals instead of three big meals.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You are not going to bulk up by using protein shakes!
  • rockstarmike000
    Options
    if you're hungry all the time, you should eat all the time. Eating 100 calories an hour in a 14 hour day is only 1400 calories, and you'll always be eating, so your metabolism will be going constantly which can be awesome. Just make sure you still get all your dietary needs.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me making protein shakes to add to my protein levels, as I don't get nearly enough protein on an average day. I asked about bulking up, and he said no.

I'm using the AMP WheyProtein powder, I add in milk and/or water, and I also blend in frozen berries. If I drink one of those for breakfast, I'm usually good until lunch time.
  • goldnanoparticle
    goldnanoparticle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fiber works for me! I like the Fiber One cereals in the morning and the granola bars once or twice throughout the day. The 80 cal cereal is really nice though, because you get to have a little more without even meeting the normal calorie count of a normal cereal. With Almond milk, the calorie count is minimal a fiber is known to help keep you full throughout the day.
  • sarahsmart88
    Options
    The best way to keep hunger at bay is to consume more fiber. FiberOne makes some great low calorie, vegetarian cereals and bars. They have a new 80 calorie/serving cereal, have it with some coconut or almond milk for the least amount of calories per serving.
    Another great way to get more fiber and stall hunger is just to get some fiber powder, such as benefiber, and two spoonfuls into a liquid. I like to make some warm water (which also helps keep me full) and put my benefiber and a squirt of lemon or lime in it. Instead of snacking on vending machine treats while at work, this little magic water keeps me satisfied until my next meal.
    And I do agree with others that you need to increase your protein intake. Greek yogurt is a great alternative to do that, or even try a light protein powder. Hope that helps!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    There are several things that I've used that are low in calories but high in fiber that help you feel full without adding calories. I use spaghetti squash instead of actual pasta or I use shirataki noodles. High fiber, low calories.... plus you get a big veggie boost with the squash.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

OP -- You need to figure out the right foods that will stay with you for longer periods of time. Look at your protein, fiber and fat intake. A combination of the three will keep you from being hungry all the time. I believe my diary is open. Feel free to look at it. I honestly don't ever feel really, really hungry on what I eat -- even with a lot of exercise.

And I eat REAL food.

I agree. When I was eating high-carb I was hungry every couple of hours. It didn't matter how much fiber was involved or how much I ate. Big bowl of oatmeal and a big apple? Weak, shaking and hungry less than 2 hours later. Now? - 3 cage-free eggs with Omega-3s and 4 pieces of Hormel Natural uncured bacon and I'm full for a good 5 hours. Your fat tissue is what releases the chemical that tells your brain you are full. Protein and fats fill you up. Definitely REAL food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I spent a couple of weeks eating normally and tracking everything to see what I was eating and see what I could cut out. I was eating up to and over 3000 cals a day and with MFP I've cut that down to 1700 a day. Problem is cutting out a third of my useaual intake plus extra exercise has left me constantly hungary! I realise that this was going to happen but I'm trying to change my lifestyle not just diet for a couple of months and I can't see how I'm going to do it if i'm going to be hungry forever.

you should be eating back your exercise calories, maybe then you wont be so hungry?
  • vkahlenberg
    vkahlenberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found that during the first couple of weeks, I did feel hungry a lot. If you have been eating too much, your stomach is used to that amount, but it will also get used to smaller amounts after a week or two and you will stop feeling ravenous all the time. Not to say you won't ever get hungry, but it won't be all the time. Hang in there! You won't be hungry forever!
  • vburnett01
    vburnett01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try eating 6 smaller meals instead of three big meals.

I was going to say this exact thing. You have to eat 6 meals a day and spread them out 2-3hours apart. My breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals tend to be 400-500 cals (sometimes a bit more if I worked out a lot) and my snacks inbtween tend to be about 1---200 cals. That puts me at eating 1600 cals-2000 cals a day (but I workout to earn those cals).

Also, try drinking LOTS of water. Especially like 20 mins b4 your meals. It makes you feel more full.

Good luck to you!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

And I eat REAL food.

I agree. When I was eating high-carb I was hungry every couple of hours. It didn't matter how much fiber was involved or how much I ate. Big bowl of oatmeal and a big apple? Weak, shaking and hungry less than 2 hours later. Now? - 3 cage-free eggs with Omega-3s and 4 pieces of Hormel Natural uncured bacon and I'm full for a good 5 hours. Your fat tissue is what releases the chemical that tells your brain you are full. Protein and fats fill you up. Definitely REAL food.

Add a slice of whole wheat toast to that and it would keep me full. But just protein and fat don't work for me. I need a combination. I could eat 10 eggs and be starving an hour later.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Fiber, fiber, fiber, fiber
  • claytonsmith805
    Options
    Drinking acid (vinegar is 5% or more acetic acid) is only going to give you indigestion at worst or a belly fullof liquid at best (so just drink water). Peppermint? The rest of the ideas are all proven winners. I find eating high fiber and high protein work, but I do best with protein. It keeps me feeling full longer.