Snack suggestions needed for more iron/protein

Options
Hi! I find myself hitting my carb and fat counts pretty well on target, but then I'm still significantly undr for my protein and iron counts. Can anyone recommend some snacks or foods that are high in these things without driving up my carb and fat numbers?????? Help a sister!!

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Nonfat greek yogurt is your protein friend. :)
    I haven't tried it yet, but this cheesecake recipe has great reviews: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake/p1
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Foods you would normally eat at meals, are higher in both iron and protein, than typical snack foods. Maybe you should eat more at meals, and more variety at meals, and less snacks. Meat, fish, seafood, green vegetables, are great sources.
  • Sydmb4
    Sydmb4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try cottage cheese with a little fruit. Good protein.
  • prettieknittie
    prettieknittie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am definitely bad to snack instead of eat meals, and I've made the intentional effort to swing back towards meals in the last few weeks. It's just so easy to get all those carbs!
  • sacampbell2018
    sacampbell2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try egg whites high protein nothing else. Just put in the microwave for like a minute.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am definitely bad to snack instead of eat meals, and I've made the intentional effort to swing back towards meals in the last few weeks. It's just so easy to get all those carbs!
    And that's exactly why weight management is work - our modern food is easy to get and easy to overeat; not eating too much takes planning and a conscious effort.
  • AnoukeA
    AnoukeA Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I really like Premier Protein drinks. They are 160 calories and 30grams of protein but dont taste like it. I usually drink it for breakfast or will use it instead of coffee creamer. The chocolate one and the caramel are fantastic and feel like a treat while still being good for you.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Sauted spinach, gram for gram, has more iron than red meat and seafood, and way less calories. Hard to eat 100g of fresh spinach, unless you like big salads! Also helps all the other vitamin and mineral counts, K, A, C, Potassium, calcium. No wonder Pop Eye had those big guns!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,572 Member
    Options
    Are you deficient in iron? if so then just eating food high in iron won't change anything. You can't fight low iron levels with food high in iron, using iron cooking pots or low dose gentle iron.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great idea, needed this too!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Turkey or beef jerky
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Are you deficient in iron? if so then just eating food high in iron won't change anything. You can't fight low iron levels with food high in iron, using iron cooking pots or low dose gentle iron.

Right, I'm anemic and need about 400% of the RDA of iron between food and supplements to stay in Low Normal.

I've used cast iron pans all my life because I like them, not because I think they have any value in raising my iron levels.
  • MixedbarbieMOM1991
    MixedbarbieMOM1991 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Energy bars
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a non - treated cast iron pot and cook a meal in it once in a while. The pot releases iron which is picked up with your food. No extra calories, simple.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas and the "Simply Protein" brand chips are both good sources of protein and iron. I also happen to like snacking on cold Yves veggie dogs. In the family pack, each dog is 45 calories, 8 grams of protein and 50% of my iron RDA.

String cheese is a good protein source, but has negligible iron.

I like snacking on dry cereal. The one I keep on-hand (Quaker corn squares) has 30% of my iron RDA in 30 grams.