5'6" and 50 lbs to lose

Options
Oh hello!

I actually joined MFP a month ago, after stumbling across a recommendation on one of my internet rambles. I decided to not introduce myself right away, while giving the site a two week trial before I left for vacation. I was amazed at how well it worked for me. I've tried using other calorie counting sites in the past, but none of them took the key step of estimating my daily calorie requirements, and then subtracting what I ate from my total. For me, this was absolutely critical. I love being able to enter in my planned meals for the day, and then seeing how many calories I have left to play with, or how much exercise I need to put in to meet my target.

I also love the forums - I love the sense of community and support. And of course, I love reading the success stories - it's inspired me to take measurements and before pictures, because I have confidence that one day I too will be able to post my before/after story.

Now that I'm back from two weeks of blissful vacation, it's time to get down to hard work. I have a wedding (mine!) in February, 26 weeks away. It's a very informal affair, so thank goodness I don't have to deal with finding and fitting a capital-D-Dress, but I would love to be able to fit back into my favourite sundress from my university days. I've kept it all these years as a reminder of what I was, and what I hoped to one day be again. To do that, I need to drop about 30 lbs.
(Ultimately, I'd love to drop about 50 lbs, and see 130 on the scale, but I don't expect to reach that until next summer.)

26 weeks. 30 lbs. Think I can do it?

Replies

• jojoisastar79
    Options
    I think you have the ultimate motivation to do it - your wedding will be a day when all eyes are on you and just think of looking back at the photos in years to come and loving your body!

I really want to go to Las Vegas and am saving now - that's my motivation. I want to wear nice clothes in that hot weather and look back at the pictures with pride!

I think you will do just fine! Keep thinking of how great you will look on the day and picture yourself in that summer dress!

Good luck!
  • Jthurston1
    Jthurston1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    U can do it!! Just stick with it!! I'm also 5'6 and want to lose 50! :) good luck!
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    YES you can do it. Just stick to what you are doing and you will be fine. Any walls you hit, someone will be able to give you advice and a push up over that wall. And what a great motivation you have. You can so do this! ;)
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 5'6" too. I would say best of luck with the weight loss but it's not really about luck at all. Feel free to add me if you want. I've found friends to be very beneficial for the support and ideas.
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The answer is YES you can. You have the right tools and the right motivation. You are already on your way. Can't wait to see your results.

Remember what Yoda said: "There is no try. Only do or do not."
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You can accomplish anything you want to, the question is: how badly do you want it?
    Sounds like we have similar stature, however my goal weight is 150, not 130. What is your plan of action?
  • azegarelli
    Options
    When I started with this, I had just stepped on the scale and saw it hit 191! I am 5'6" myself and in HighSchool (12 years ago) I was at 155 but in a size 8. I just about had a heart attack standing on that scale and I said "THATS IT!". That was in April and I am now down to 169 (with shoes and scrubs)! I am a mother of 2 and a nurse. I have just about 0 time to work out, so changing how I eat is about my only option that I had! 22 pounds shed later I feel GREAT and I am still losing! Just put your mind to it and you can do it!
  • bananamac
    bananamac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh wow - thank you all so much for the words of encouragement, and friend requests! You sure know how to make a girl feel welcome.

Unlike my family of broad-shouldered amazons, I am built like my grandmother - little hands, little feet, little bones. At my lowest university weight of 140, I still wasn't lean; there was definitely some pudge around my lower belly and my butt, which is why I've set my goal this time to 130.

My current plan of action (attack?) is to get my eating under control - I love both sweet and salt tastes, and my kryptonite is - embarrassingly - that fake orange cheese flavour. Kraft Dinner, Cheetos, even the cheese-flavoured Crispy Minis... I'm powerless to resist them. Even typing that out, I now have a burning desire to get some KD for lunch. Man.

I bike to work 3 days a week, and I'll be riding the long way home to take advantage of long stretches of bike path where I don't have to stop for traffic lights. I've also heard a lot of good things on here about Jillian Michaels, so I'm considering getting her CDs and some basic hand weights. Any other suggestions from the crowd?
  • jenlynnmora
    jenlynnmora Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do it! I, too, am about your height (5'5") and my starting weight was 195 lbs. I began the journey of getting my life back the beginning of April of this year. It is now mid-August and I have lost 46 lbs. I am now at 148.5 lbs. My initial goal was to just be healthy by getting to 145 lbs. but I think I'll go on to 130 - 135 lbs. I love MFP. It has been a great tool to keep me on track. Just keep disciplined with your calorie watch and don't forget to exercise often. Both go hand in hand. Don't let yourself cheat very often. It'll mess with your head. Try to always be in control of what is going in your mouth. Time goes by quickly, so before you know it, you'll be at the weight you want to be. Best wishes to you! (By-the-way, my profile picture is at the weight I began, not my current weight. I need to update it.:smile:
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have one more suggestion, since you asked. I think it helps to watch words (thoughts, beliefs), not just our calories.

So rather than saying "I am powerless" about certain foods, say something new now: "I choose not to let that food be more important than my goal."

You get the idea. Say it, mean it, do it. You can!!! :smile:
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Looks like we have similar goals and are the same height. Feel free to friend me =]