Carbs

Options
I just started this plan. I am trying to do a keto diet to lose weight and they have me at 150 carbs per day. does this seem right?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    MFP's default macros aren't the macros you'd need for a keto diet.

An example for keto might be 5% carbs, 20% protein, and 75% fat.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you are going to follow keto, you can customize your macro breakdown to reflect that. In settings when it offers the guided set up, you don't want that option.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    kws6565 wrote: »
    I just started this plan. I am trying to do a keto diet to lose weight and they have me at 150 carbs per day. does this seem right?
    To lose weight, you have to take in fewer calories than you burn. Calorie counting is just a method for that, keto is just a method for that, any diet are just methods to make you (more or less knowingly) eat less than you burn. MFP is the opposite of "they", MFP is fully customizable, you just need to know what you're doing. So why are you trying keto?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Typically, low carb us considered to be below 100-150 g of carbs a day. A ketogenic diet is usually under 50g if carbs a day although active, healthy people can eat more if they time it around exercise. If you want to pursue ketosis, you will probably have to lower your carbs closer to 50g.

As stated above, keto macros look more like 5-10% carbs, 20-30% protein and the rest is fat (75-60%).

If you prefer higher than 50g, you are fine staying there unless you need ketones for a health reason. The main weight loss benefit for ketosis is the lowered carbs which often leads to reduced appetite and cravings - it's easier to eat less. Many can get that benefit without lowering their carbs so far. Some low carbers stay at around 150g, others go just below 100g, and then keto'ers could be 50, 20, or almost zero g if carbs.

Join the LowCarber Daily or Keto MFO groups for more info and support. Good luck.
  • jla5774
    jla5774 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So I have been doing keto for about a month. I have stayed under 20 carbs a day and lost a few pounds the first week and a half. Since then NOTHING!! What am I doing wrong? My protein is around 20% and my fat intake high. Help me out?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    jla5774 wrote: »
    So I have been doing keto for about a month. I have stayed under 20 carbs a day and lost a few pounds the first week and a half. Since then NOTHING!! What am I doing wrong? My protein is around 20% and my fat intake high. Help me out?

Are you tracking your calories? Weightloss is about calories, not macros.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?

• jla5774
    Options
    Yes counting calories and tracking meals. Trying to do everything by the book and feeling very frustrated. Not sure what I'm missing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes counting calories and tracking meals. Trying to do everything by the book and feeling very frustrated. Not sure what I'm missing.

Most people lose a large amount in the beginning (first few days) when they first cut calories or when they first lower carbs - or both - and then it slows down.

How are you estimating your calories? If you would open your food diary, we may be able to spot issues.

Go to FOOD > settings, scroll down and click "Public."
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Most people lose a large amount in the beginning (first few days) when they first cut calories or when they first lower carbs - or both - and then it slows down.

How are you estimating your calories? If you would open your food diary, we may be able to spot issues.

Go to FOOD > settings, scroll down and click "Public."

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10685616/keto-failure#latest
  • jla5774
    Options
    Ok I think I opened my food diary
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

You did - I looked at the last 2 weeks worth of your diary...

You went over your daily calorie allowance 15 days and stayed under your daily allowance 6 days, so the simple answer is you are eating too much.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

You went over your daily calorie allowance 15 days and stayed under your daily allowance 6 days, so the simple answer is you are eating too much.

• jla5774
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Ok I will try to keep a tigher reign on that the next week and see what happens. Thank you so much for the help!!!