Bathroom scale with old batteries cause incorrect reading?

Options
Any truth to an off reading while using a digital
Bathroom scale with old batteries? I saw a scary number this morning, batteries expired in 2015. Replaced batteries and will re weigh Sat am to give a few days. Is this possible with older batteries or uneven floors? Which scale is most reliable in your opinion? Thank you.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, both bad batteries and uneven floors could cause faulty readings.

I don't believe that there is a "most reliable" scale. Just buy one and use it (being sure that the batteries are not bad, it's on an even floor, and you're weighing yourself under consistent conditions.)
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Uneven floors definitely give an innacurate reading. I have to move my scale to the kitchen to weigh in because the bathroom floor is too squishy.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I can move mine an inch to the left and gain 5 pounds so yes an uneven floor makes a different, now it's in exactly the same place every time for consistency.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Uneven floors definitely give an innacurate reading. I have to move my scale to the kitchen to weigh in because the bathroom floor is too squishy.

That is not a good sign. You either have a active leak or water damage from an old leak. If it has been that way for awhile you probably have rotted wood and it is very likely you also have mold.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

That is not a good sign. You either have a active leak or water damage from an old leak. If it has been that way for awhile you probably have rotted wood and it is very likely you also have mold.

No, it's the type of laminate flooring they used....it's got like a semi hard surface with a thick pad underneath. It's the same as every bathroom floor I've had in apartments in the UK because it's meant to mask the sound for our neighbors downstairs or something.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have my scale on a single floor tile. My bathroom flooring is also squishy (No leak or mould though ;) ) just very soft floor covering.

Also find something you know the weight of and put it on your scale. I use a 2kg weight. That will tell you if your scale is weighing accurately or not.