pre/post workout

Options
any suggestions for what to eat/drink pre and post workout? i've been working out since March this year and I'm still trying to determine this question for myself.

Replies

• bradahale
    Options
    I know after a workout Chocalate milk is great.
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    Any recovery formula would be good.. Normally I just drink a protein shake after working out... And Pre-workout I take BCAA tablets :D
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout you want to eat carbohydrates since they are your bodies main energy source.

Post-workout you want to eat protein with some carbohydrates because protein is what your body uses to repair damaged tissue, and the carbohydrates with help replenish your energy stores in your body.
  • ringmaster389
    Options
    For a pre-workout, you should eat or drink something small. You are looking for something that will give you around 10-15 grams of protein and around 20 grams of carbs. Some good ideas are a serving of low fat cottage cheese and carrots/a small piece of fruit, or a scoop of whey protein with skim milk. As for the post workout, if you are asking about a "recovery" drink, that depends on how intense your workout was. Only you can answer that question. If yes, as already posted, chocolate milk is an excellent post workout drink, if your on a budget. Otherwise, some type of protein drink consisting of 20 grams of protein/20+ grams of carbs will do the trick. If your workout isn't that intense, no post workout drink is necessary. If you are asking about what to actually eat after a workout, then your post workout time is the best time to eat a sensible meal which includes grain based products (your post workout time is when your body can breakdown and handle the insulin spikes from grain the best). Just make sure you eat within an hour of your workout time, your body will need fuel to recover from and you don't want it to break down muscle mass to feed itself.
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    Pre- eat something small ideally with protien.
    Post-I am addicted to GNC's Post workout drink...low cal. Gives me tons of energy and no aches and pains!:drinker:
  • marneymac
    Options
    thanks!! do you have the exact name of the GNC product?