IT Band pain - How to fix?

Options
Hi all,

After 2 years of running I developed IT Band Syndrome about a month ago. It happens every run now and it always happens when i get to around the 7-8km mark of a run, forcing me to pretty much stop.

I have looked at countless video's and websites on the subject of trying to correct this, and they all give conflicting solutions. These are all video's and websites from apparently qualified doctors/physio's and trainers. Some advise to do foam rolling, other places say foam rolling doesn't work, do squats or clams instead. Others advocate the cause of it is by pronating, but I'm a mid foot striker so I know it's not that. Other places say it's caused by sitting too much and getting weak hips. Other places say it's nothing to do with hips but its just poor running form.

It's like a endless circle of advice touting themselves as the only solution.

I would love to hear feedback from people who have had this problem and what worked for them.

So far I have tried stretching ( doesn't seem to do anything ), running slow ( doesn't seem to do anything ), doing short runs ( this does help somewhat ) and just not running for a while, but it does come back again, which makes me think, maybe it is my running style.

Normally I run about 4 or 5 days a week,

Thanks all!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you do any cross training or strength/resistance training?
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I thought your foot could over or under pronate wherever it strikes?

I had very sore hips and IT bands for a while when I started. Due in part to not stretching enough after, a weak left hamstring and running too much too fast.
    It took a couple of weeks of foam roller, hip flexor exercises and slower runs for it to stop happening. Free and clear for a year now. :)
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Yes i do weights twice a week, nothing big as I am no body builder
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    senor_jeff wrote: »
    So far I have tried stretching ( doesn't seem to do anything ), running slow ( doesn't seem to do anything ), doing short runs ( this does help somewhat ) and just not running for a while, but it does come back again, which makes me think, maybe it is my running style.

Could be. Try to get your form assessed by a sports physical therapist or similar professional.

Whoever diagnosed it as IT band syndrome really should be directing the treatment. :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yes i do weights twice a week, nothing big as I am no body builder

What has a physio suggested?

I'd go with knock running back to 3x a week, add in some cross training and stretch stretch stretch.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...I developed IT Band Syndrome about a month ago.

What leads you to conclude ITBS?
    It happens every run now and it always happens when i get to around the 7-8km mark of a run, forcing me to pretty much stop.

That doesn't sound like ITBS to me.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It sounds like either you haven't seen a professional about this diagnosis, or the professional hasn't been helpful. If you're seeing a professional who isn't helpful, I would get another opinion. You need to be professionally evaluated, both to make sure that what you have really is ITBS, and to recommend the best treatment/rehab for you.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Your diagnosing doctor should have given you exercises and stretches or referred you to physical therapy. Are you just self diagnosing?
  • Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it and spent lots of time at physical therapy strengthening all my leg muscles and learning proper stretches and then I went out and broke my ankle in 3 places, it's the muscle that pretty much holds your knee in place, runs from your hip to your knee to your ankle. I couldn't run a half mile without severe pain. I went back to physical therapy for the ankle for months and then went to a real running store where they put me on a treadmill and evaluated my form and stuff and then advised me to get thicker heel shoes.
  • Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    By the way with the right shoes I've been running since april 1st, logged 98 miles just in July and went and purchased a new pair of running shoes today at the same store.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    dely217 wrote: »
    ..., it's the muscle ...

The Illiotibial Band is a ligament, which is why foam rolling and stretching can provide temporary relief but is damaging in the long term.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

After 2 years of running I developed IT Band Syndrome about a month ago. It happens every run now and it always happens when i get to around the 7-8km mark of a run, forcing me to pretty much stop.

I have looked at countless video's and websites on the subject of trying to correct this, and they all give conflicting solutions. These are all video's and websites from apparently qualified doctors/physio's and trainers. Some advise to do foam rolling, other places say foam rolling doesn't work, do squats or clams instead. Others advocate the cause of it is by pronating, but I'm a mid foot striker so I know it's not that. Other places say it's caused by sitting too much and getting weak hips. Other places say it's nothing to do with hips but its just poor running form.

It's like a endless circle of advice touting themselves as the only solution.

I would love to hear feedback from people who have had this problem and what worked for them.

Normally I run about 4 or 5 days a week,

Thanks all!

I missed about 6 weeks of running a few years back trying to self-treat ITBS and then I went to a registered massage therapist. It hurt like crazy but she had me running again after 2 sessions. I go in regularly now and have been running pretty much injury free since.