Depression & Weight loss

Options
I have seasonal depression it starts about this time of each year...
I have a hard time losing weight with taken meds for the depression. I have
Tried to handle this with out having to take the meds but cant deal with it..
So does anyone else have about the same problem as I do & if so how do deal
with it? And not gain any weight....
Sorry if I have made any mistakes on here..lol..im useing an Glaxy pad..

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking a vitamin D supplement to help with the depression? I have chronic depression that gets worse when the days get shorter, and I find that I need to take about 4000 IU every day during the fall and winter. It helps a lot. I would check with your doctor to make sure you don't have any health issues that would make it unsafe to take the D supplement, but for most people it's nearly impossible to take too much.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I am taking aropax and finding it very hard to lose weight as well.

Eager to see other peoples' answers.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    My husband is struggling with severe depression and feeling so low combined with his meds has meant hes put on a lot of weight, which in turn is making him feel even worse. So I'd be very interesed in the responses you get to this post.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Bleh I finally lost all the weight I gained from depression medication. It's till a battle everyday but I've learned to control it better on my own.
    While I was on it I worked out for two hours every week, and that only maintained then I stopped and gained a ton of weight. So since you'd like to continue to take the medicine I would say just be more active then you normally are. Maybe walk everyday for at least half an hour. =] Good luck add me if you'd like. You can do this!!!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    keep moving, drink LOTS of water & get enough, but not too much sleep. You need a 'buddy' someone who won't let you sit around and eat. Someone who will physically pull you off the couch if she has to. For me, the biggest/best tool fighting depression is determination. I refuse to let it take over MY life. If I'm really 'down' my friends will let me have ONE day to mope around and sleep all day. But that's it. Then they force me to at least get outside and eat something nourishing.
    I've found booze and junk food just make it worse. I feel MUCH better when I get a good night's sleep, a good breakfast and I start my morning with 16oz of water, first thing.
    Friend me if you like - I'm depressive. I'll help you BUT NO WHINING.
    You just have to fight it. and it's just that simple. BANISH the negative thoughts. Replace them with what I call 'cinderella thinking' - neither your negative thoughts OR 'cinderella thinking' are realistic so might as well go with happy thoughts, right?
    We can do this!
  • boyflowerbird
    Options
    I was struggling with depression for the past 2 years until May. Prior to May I took either Prozac or Celexa. Both caused me to gain weight.

In May, I admitted it was more severe than ever (and that my low-dose meds weren't getting it) and my dr. put me on Pristiq. It is a newer form of Effexor. It doesn't have a generic, but I got a card from my dr. and I get it for not much more than my generic co-pay. It's 50mg. Immediately I had more energy and get-up-and-go. Since starting it, I have lost almost 25 pounds. It definitely curbs the appetite.

It's one of the few anti-depressants that isn't known to cause weight gain.

I will pray for you because I know exactly where you are and how you feel.
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good psychiatrist, someone you trust to monitor your meds? You may need to tweak your medication (supervised by a doc, of course). I'm a bit nervous with winter coming, too. Six months of gray and snow.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from seasonal depression, but I have never taken the meds for it, which probably would have helped me a few years ago when it caused me to drop out of school and almost get fired from my job. However, I generally gain weight as well from October to the end of March (when the days are dreary and short and cold) because I stay inside and eat out of boredom. This past winter I did not feel as depressed, but I also gained about 30 pounds because I was eating and binge drinking randomly. It also does not help that it makes you extremely tired, at least mentally, and makes me not want to work out or really leave my place or bed.
    This year I'm making a plan for myself to deal with it. I re-enrolled in school full-time and am keeping my full-time job, which currently I am doing very well at. I think keeping myself busy and keeping short-term, REACHABLE goals will help me a lot. One thing I think that is keeping me going is the fact that I graduate in May IF I FINISH MY CLASSES THIS UPCOMING FALL (I have to tell myself that constantly so I will not talk myself out of going to class when I feel blue)!! I will not go out and eat all of the time, which kills two birds with one stone: I won't over-eat unhealthy restaurant foods and I will not spend the extra money by eating out all the time. I generally also only drink at restaurants it seems, so that will also save me some grief.
    I've also built up a great support group with friends and family since they know that I suffer from this every year.
    I'm one of those people that needs a hard kick in the butt sometimes when I begin to slip into this.
    My other thing is that I may go to Puerto Rico in February and I don't want my standard gain 15-30 pounds during this time period to prevent me from wanting to go (which I have turned down trips to bathing suit-wearing places before because of this).
    I also am joining an AFFORDABLE gym where I can work off my stress. I find that working out does have that happy effect and it makes me feel good, and I will be honest, I have NEVER attempted to work out in the winter months because I find ways to tell myself it doesn't matter if I do or not.
    The other thing I do which only works for the moments until I realize what I've done is spend money on things I don't really need (two winters ago I spent $600 at a Coach store and purchased a purse, wristlet, and wallet in which I only use the $70 wristlet. Obviously this $600 could have been saved and probably would have prevented me from going into a deeper depression.
    I am hoping that this works for me.
  • coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was switched to Wellbutrin because I was on Amitriptyline and gained 40 lbs in just a few months, but the Wellbutrin has been way better. It helps keep my appetite suppressed.

On the depression side, it's ok. It's not as effective as the Amitriptyline, but I'm not just sitting on my couch waiting to die anymore like I am without meds.
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    i hear you loud and clear, the best thing for you my dear is exercise and controlled eating - yes its hard but its the only way.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with depression for the past 2 years until May. Prior to May I took either Prozac or Celexa. Both caused me to gain weight.

In May, I admitted it was more severe than ever (and that my low-dose meds weren't getting it) and my dr. put me on Pristiq. It is a newer form of Effexor. It doesn't have a generic, but I got a card from my dr. and I get it for not much more than my generic co-pay. It's 50mg. Immediately I had more energy and get-up-and-go. Since starting it, I have lost almost 25 pounds. It definitely curbs the appetite.

It's one of the few anti-depressants that isn't known to cause weight gain.

I will pray for you because I know exactly where you are and how you feel.

we are like twins! this is my story exactly and i am also taking 50 mg of Pristiq :D
  • lm4680
    lm4680 Posts: 11
    Options
    Great topic! I saw my doctor just last week about this. I've had Seasonal Affective Disorder for a long time and one thing that is a must for me, starting about mid-October (I'm in WI), is I use a light box every morning. I bought it about 6 years ago. I did a huge amount of research and this is a great little light for the money. It's small and portable and just leave it on my desk at work and use it first thing in the morning. It sits off to my side slightly and I continue to work until it shuts itself off. The benefits for me are a sense of well-being ( feels like a sunny blue sky) and an emotional lift along with increased energy. People at work are drawn to it, some have purchased different types of lights and one lady bought this exact one and she loves it.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/light-therapy/golite-blu-plus-rechargeable-hf3332_60/prd/en/

You can take this simple test and they will send you recommendations:
    http://www.usa.philips.com/c/circadian/178345/cat/

I purchased mine from drugstore.com for $195, lots of great reviews there.