Wine

Options
As long as I factor my wine/alcohol intake into my daily calories will it effect my weight loss? I Know alcohol has a lot of sugar in it.

Replies

• MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I bloat a bit when I drink (even moderately), but I retain water like it's my job so I don't let the fluctuation bother me since I know it'll go away. As long as you log the calories it's pretty much like anything else. The main downside is that it makes your resolve easier to break ;)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    As long as it doesn’t put you in line at the Taco Bell drive-thru at midnight, you’ll be fine

Oh man the food I can put down when I've gotten some alcohol in me. I especially have to watch out for those hibachi grills.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    PHOTOCHAP wrote: »
    I started logging my alcohol when I first joined MFP. I'm a heavy drinker, daily, and I've managed to lose 22lb (10kg) so far mainly through a complete change of diet and religious use of logging on MFP and MapMyWalk. I love making healthy meals and I've even started going to the gym so that I can be a little fitter when I turn 60 next month. So it can be done with or without the wine :)

When’s your birthday? I turn 60 on Sept 20th!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ch55555555 wrote: »
    I'm finding one glass of red wine a night is suppressing my appetite. It also distracts me from stuffing myself with half the fridge when I get in home from work hungry 😂 I've done diets of cutting it out and then diets of one glass a night and honestly it's not made that much difference. I would actually say I've been slightly more successful with weight loss when drinking the wine. As long as it's factored into daily calories I think it's fine ☺️

Same here. If I have a bit of wine I find I eat less and can usually stay away from a snack after dinner. I feel satisfied.
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I started logging my alcohol when I first joined MFP. I'm a heavy drinker, daily, and I've managed to lose 22lb (10kg) so far mainly through a complete change of diet and religious use of logging on MFP and MapMyWalk. I love making healthy meals and I've even started going to the gym so that I can be a little fitter when I turn 60 next month. So it can be done with or without the wine :)

When’s your birthday? I turn 60 on Sept 20th!

10th Sept. Looking forward to a big celebration ;)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Just make sure the calories aren't crowding out nutrient dense foods. Make sure you're getting 5+ servings of veggies and fruit a day plus adequate protein and healthy fats before touching the wine..
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    As long as it doesn’t put you in line at the Taco Bell drive-thru at midnight, you’ll be fine

EXACTLY!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I factor in alcohol within my allowance but would rather have a double vodka and Diet Coke than a glass of wine, i can make it last most of the night so I'm not tempted to finish the bottle!
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I factor in alcohol within my allowance but would rather have a double vodka and Diet Coke than a glass of wine, i can make it last most of the night so I'm not tempted to finish the bottle!

You have a better resolve than I.. I couldn't stop before the bottle was empty. My alcohol intake bumps up my calorie count so much that I just don't bother adding it to my food MFP intake. I've been losing 1lb a week for the past 20 weeks and I still drink enormously daily. What the heck is going on?.. I've no idea :|
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    As long as I factor my wine/alcohol intake into my daily calories will it effect my weight loss? I Know alcohol has a lot of sugar in it.

The sugar has no bearing on weight gain/loss whatsoever. Weight gain is only caused if you’re consuming more calories than you use.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »

You have a better resolve than I.. I couldn't stop before the bottle was empty. My alcohol intake bumps up my calorie count so much that I just don't bother adding it to my food MFP intake. I've been losing 1lb a week for the past 20 weeks and I still drink enormously daily. What the heck is going on?.. I've no idea :|

Well if it's working then what else can you do...... 😜
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Ch55555555 wrote: »
    I'm finding one glass of red wine a night is suppressing my appetite. It also distracts me from stuffing myself with half the fridge when I get in home from work hungry 😂 I've done diets of cutting it out and then diets of one glass a night and honestly it's not made that much difference. I would actually say I've been slightly more successful with weight loss when drinking the wine. As long as it's factored into daily calories I think it's fine ☺️

Same here. If I have a bit of wine I find I eat less and can usually stay away from a snack after dinner. I feel satisfied.

You guys are lucky. Alcohol, especially wine makes me hungry. I always end up binge eating everything in sight.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Alcohol is alcohol (at 7 cal/g) and sugar is sugar (at 4 cal/g). Some alcoholic beverages have more sugar in them than others, but they don't automatically go together. The sugar content in wine can vary quite a lot, depending on how completely the fermentation is allowed to go and whether or not it's fortified after fermentation. https://winefolly.com/review/sugar-in-wine-chart/