Hungry Every Day

Options
I suspect I'm on the low end of calorie burning in general. I declared myself at maintenance 3 pounds over my goal weight because for six months I wasn't able to get any lower.

I stopped logging for a bit and sure enough my weight crept up about 4 pounds. I'm currently at 1460 for calorie allowance - that is what keeps me at 3 pounds over goal. Honestly y'all, I'm hungry all the time!

I've played with macros and that helped a little but I go to bed hungry every night when I'm trying to maintain.

I am lightly active (walk the dog a few miles a day, peddle around town on errands) but don't really have the facilities or time for weight training.

What else am I missing here? I believe in CICO but I always thought the right amount of calories for my body would leave me feeling good.

Height 5'6" . Current weight 147, goal 140. Perfect logging/eating gets me to 142.8 (at best).

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight and activity level, your maintenance calories should be at least 2000. Do you have cheat days (will explain not losing weight)? Are you eating a lot of junkfood/drinking your calories (will explain hunger even on 2000 calories)?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds very low. How long have you been eating 1400 cals?
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    When I'm tracking I don't have cheat days, other than I allow myself a single glass of wine or a beer on friday and saturday nights. I only drink water and coffee (other than the weekend glasses of wine) on a regular basis. An occasional cocktail is always logged. I sometimes use Huel as a meal replacement just because I often don't have time to eat breakfast on work days so I do drink that but I'm counting it.

I am generally a very healthy eater and 90% of our food is cooked from scratch by me.

I definitely cheat when I'm not tracking - not eating bad food. But eating until I'm full.

When I track my weight is very steady (if still not what I want it to be). If I don't track it takes a couple of months but my weight creeps right back up.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    Options
    Sounds very low. How long have you been eating 1400 cals?

hmm - I honestly can't remember. I think I started around 1500 calories when I started (starting weight was 155). but I've been at 1460 for well over a year.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    Options
    @TavistockToad - Sorry was misunderstanding you! I had excellent tracking from January 2017 until about June 2017. Then fell off for a couple months. Good tracking from August 2017 until May 2018. I started tracking again about a week ago.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad - Sorry was misunderstanding you! I had excellent tracking from January 2017 until about June 2017. Then fell off for a couple months. Good tracking from August 2017 until May 2018. I started tracking again about a week ago.

And what was your calorie goal each time? And how much did you lose?
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks guys - I'm not that worried about getting back down to 143. It is more that I am so hungry when I'm eating 1460 calories. I trust that 1460 will get me close to my goal weight, it just drains me going to bed hungry at night. I've never actually switched to maintenance calories because I've never actually hit my goal weight of 140.

So then I stop tracking thinking I have a good handle on it (because I maintain for months at a time) but I clearly gain over the course of a couple of months. In fact, the way I noticed that I had gained this time was I had a realization that I hadn't experienced hunger in a while, so I weighed myself and was up 5 pounds.

Tavistock - When I am tracking my calorie goal is 1460 and I maintain at between 142-145 on those calories. Technically it is still set to lose a half pound a week but I just don't drop under 142.

I think I'm frustrated that I might have to track AND be hungry for the rest of my life to maintain my weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - I'm not that worried about getting back down to 143. It is more that I am so hungry when I'm eating 1460 calories. I trust that 1460 will get me close to my goal weight, it just drains me going to bed hungry at night. I've never actually switched to maintenance calories because I've never actually hit my goal weight of 140.

So then I stop tracking thinking I have a good handle on it (because I maintain for months at a time) but I clearly gain over the course of a couple of months. In fact, the way I noticed that I had gained this time was I had a realization that I hadn't experienced hunger in a while, so I weighed myself and was up 5 pounds.

Tavistock - When I am tracking my calorie goal is 1460 and I maintain at between 142-145 on those calories. Technically it is still set to lose a half pound a week but I just don't drop under 142.

I think I'm frustrated that I might have to track AND be hungry for the rest of my life to maintain my weight.

you also dont have one static number for weight. you have a weight range.weight fluctuates all the time. so you may just be seeing fluctuations and not actual weight gain. but if you havent lost anything in awhile you should take a diet break and then get back to it and when you do make sure you are as accurate as you can be with weighing all solids and semi solids on a food scale and give it time. weight loss is also not linear and the less you have to lose the slower its going to be.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your foods? There can be a big caloric difference between weighing vs measuring. What types of foods are you eating? Perhaps you need more filling foods?
  • StarBrightStarBright
    Options
    I am not weighing my foods. It is honestly the thing I've been avoiding for a while that I know I need to do! I've had problems with anxiety and obsessions every since I was a kid and weight related stuff is a huge trigger for me. I've been avoiding it.

I make a lot of from scratch meals. Tonight was breakfast for dinner for the family so I had a quarter serving of baked french toast (no syrup), one cup of fruit salad and a cup of siggi's skyr. I feel nicely full right now. I have 100 calories left for the day.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    I suspect I'm on the low end of calorie burning in general. I declared myself at maintenance 3 pounds over my goal weight because for six months I wasn't able to get any lower.

I stopped logging for a bit and sure enough my weight crept up about 4 pounds. I'm currently at 1460 for calorie allowance - that is what keeps me at 3 pounds over goal. Honestly y'all, I'm hungry all the time!

I've played with macros and that helped a little but I go to bed hungry every night when I'm trying to maintain.

I am lightly active (walk the dog a few miles a day, peddle around town on errands) but don't really have the facilities or time for weight training.

What else am I missing here? I believe in CICO but I always thought the right amount of calories for my body would leave me feeling good.

Height 5'6" . Current weight 147, goal 140. Perfect logging/eating gets me to 142.8 (at best).

Reverse diet to restore your metabolism.. look up some of Layne Norton's videos on YouTube . It's not worth being hungry every day and being at your goal weight then eating more and feeling better being 10 lbs above your goal weight

you dont restore your metabolism. you reset your hormones and thats usually for those who have been dieting for a certain length of time. she stated she jut got back on to logging her food a week ago. but if shes been eating the 1460 for the last year then she may have whats called adaptive thermogenesis. your metabolism runs or it doesnt. it doesnt run out and you cant restore it. you can boost it with exercise and taking a diet break sure if thats what you mean by restore.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I am not weighing my foods. It is honestly the thing I've been avoiding for a while that I know I need to do! I've had problems with anxiety and obsessions every since I was a kid and weight related stuff is a huge trigger for me. I've been avoiding it.

I make a lot of from scratch meals. Tonight was breakfast for dinner for the family so I had a quarter serving of baked french toast (no syrup), one cup of fruit salad and a cup of siggi's skyr. I feel nicely full right now. I have 100 calories left for the day.

also try higher fiber foods and maybe a little more protein? if that doesnt satiate you try more fats.maybe a balance of fats,carbs,protein and fiber? are you getting enough sleep? I know if I dont get enough sleep I am hungrier.