Meals In The Car

Options
Hrussian
Hrussian Posts: 22 Member
edited August 2018 in Recipes
I’m usually on the road at 9am and not back home until 4pm everyday. I see clients in their homes for meetings and never in an office. This makes it very hard to try to eat anything but fast food. Any ideas of meals or snacks that you like that can’t be heated and easily eaten in the car. I’m at a loss and find myself skipping meals.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,698 Member
    Options
    Turkey or beef jerky and bilthong for protein
    Air popped pop corn and roast chick peas for carbs. I like a sprinkle of ranch dressing mix on popcorn. Roast chickpeas are best done in a small toaster oven or air fryer with respect to energy efficiency. Here is a sample recipe:
    https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-219753
    Fruit and veg. Fresh fruit such as apples, pears and bananas. Crudites like carrot, celery or cucumber sticks which you can pack in ziplock bags.

Alternatively you can try to make sandwiches at home to avoid fast food. Brown bread, smoked chicken, or turkey ham, or smoked salmon or braesola, lettuce or sliced cucumber moistened with a little lite laughing cow or other light spreadable cheese would be a low calorie but tasty sandwich and crunchy sandwich. Pack each sandwich in a small ziplock bag.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,698 Member
    Options
    Oh another idea for protein, peeled hard boiled eggs wrapped in cling film or in small ziplocks.
  • chiefcelery
    chiefcelery Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cut out fast food for lunch at work entirely recently. Since then, I've stuck to a couple of things.
    - Kind Bars - ~200 cals, nuts, almonds, fruit - they're amazing!
    - Bel Vita Biscuits - ~250 cals not as good as Kind bars but still
    - Trail mix - Can be high in calories, so you have to watch your serving size
    - Yogurt - I keep it small tupperware bowls in an lunchbox with ice pack! Add granola if you have calories to spare
    - Banana/Apple/Oranges - pretty obvious
    - I cut out bread, but if you're still okay with it, lunchmeat sandwiches are also great. Adding whatever condiments and veggies you like, of course.

Combining two of these items makes for a nice, nutritious lunch with low calories. None of them are of course "meals" in the traditional sense
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    They make small lunch cooler bags, you have to prep your meals but it will stay cool in the car.
  • Hrussian
    Hrussian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! Such great ideas and I plan to use all of them!
  • Barrera1010
    Barrera1010 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Prepare your meals the night before. You don't necessarily have to prep meals, just make a pot of rice, cook some veggies and some kind of protein. I feel I stay pretty consistent when all I have to do is put meals together from food that is already cooked. You can always stop at a gas station to use a microwave.
    Clients for what? What industry are you in?