Paleo ice cream FAIL. Help?

Options
ngagne
ngagne Posts: 57 Member
I attempted Paleo ice cream; bananas (4), strawberries (about 2 cups), and 1 Cup Almond milk. I used fresh, frozen fruit in a Food Processor until it reached a creamy texture, then dumped into a freezer okay bowl. When I took it, my ice cream was more like a slushy (icy). Still tasty, but wrong texture.
How do I get actual ice cream texture ice cream? Will getting an ice cream maker help? I can’t stir every half hour or something like as I have an active toddler that will distract me.
Thank you!

Replies

• HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Either more bananas or less strawberries would help with reducing the icy texture. That's a lot of strawberries. Think of how they freeze alone - like ice cubes. Plus the milk freezes much the same way.

I've blended frozen banana alone and it's gets kind of creamy sort of like an ice cream texture but I never froze it again after. Adding milk makes it a slushy.

Reducing the stuff that freezes hard will help with texture.
  • Hrussian
    Hrussian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For sure use coconut milk (full fat in the can). I make it using frozen blueberries and a can of coconut milk. Soooo gooood!!!!
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    This one is my favorite (might be the booze) coconut cream is key in my opinion, along with the xanthum gum as the texture comes out great. (Again, it may have been the booze, so if it doesn't turn out for you, add more) :D

https://www.gnom-gnom.com/keto-vanilla-ice-cream/
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I wouldn’t bother with the milk at all. I have made chocolate banana ‘ice cream’ using just cocoa and frozen bananas and it blitzes fine and is like a good soft scoop (when eaten immediately) but I would have thought it should harden more if transferred to tub once blitzed and put back into freezer. Just give your processor chance to purée it. The heat generated by the blades will soften the frozen banana sufficiently without the need for liquid