Eating before early workout???

Options
Hello everyone, first off thanks to anyone that offers input. My question is how crucial is it to eat before a workout?

I'm someone who wakes up at 6 and heads straight to the gym so I'm not really hungry before the workout.

I've read that workout out fasted will deplete your glycogen stores and in turn make you lose muscle. I've also heard that a fasted workout can help you lose fat.

Anyone have any input on this?

Replies

• snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am usually just a bit too sluggish first thing for most exercise, so I often do a banana or small yogurt to have a little fuel. And water. I like to be hydrated when I workout.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you’re not hungry in the morning and you prefer to work out fasted, then keep it up.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I go by my hunger levels. I'm not hungry in the mornings so I don't eat anything before my morning workout (LISS cardio or resistance/bodyweight work - nothing intense, I need fuel for those workouts).

Water keeps me going during and after my session.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I run 6-7 days a week, first thing in the morning. I never eat prior to a run unless I wake up especially hungry or I plan on running more than ten miles or so.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    So your body adapts to whatever time your used to working out. I used to feel less energetic in the morning when I work out and used to attribute it to the fact that I have a preworkout meal when I lift in the afternoon. But I have found that when I consistently lift fasted in the morning, body adapts and it gets easier. So not important. More important is overall calorie and macro intake for the day.
  • GoGetta52
    GoGetta52 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the input. Really helped me a lot thanks again.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I'd 100% reinforce the comments above. It's personal preference. Probably 90% of my training both cardio and lifting is early in the morning before eating. I don't notice any performance issues to years ago when I trained early evening.

I really like the pyramid at the top so many people, due to bad advice, get that completely upside down.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The only time I care about meal time is if I'm planning a longish (getting towards 2hr and beyond) bicycle ride. Then I'll tend to fuel up on carbs before I go so I don't bonk too quickly. I'll also carry some snacks with me to keep myself fuelled up on the go.

If I'm not going out that long then I don't even think about it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Depends how fast I am up and out. If I feel hungry I'll eat some fruit and yoghurt.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I run or workout on an empty stomach about half the time and the other half, it's after coffee and breakfast. Everything is fine either way, but coffee gives me a little extra oomph. For runs longer than 6 miles, I do prefer some food first.