High blood pressure/hypertension

Options
Hi
I’ve always had blood pressure reading that was on the high side of normal range but now it’s in the pre hypertensive range. I hadn’t been to the drs for a while so it was a bit of a shock. I’m 43, female and had a largely processed food diet for a fair while now. I want to reduce my blood pressure, especially my bottom figure, and wondered if anyone had any experience with this themselves. I know it will be healthy diet and exercise, but wondered if there were any foods in particular that anyone knew was particularly effective at helping to lower BP. Thanks, N

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lower your salt intake. Lose weight overall. Cardio exercise of all kinds.

^^ These are the important things (assuming your hypertension responds to salt -- not everyone's does).

Once you've got those mastered, ensuring adequate amounts of dietary potassium (e.g., bananas, kiwis, potatoes, avocados), magnesium (e.g., spinach, beans, cocoa powder), and calcium (e.g., yogurt and other dairy, nondairy milk enriched with calcium, leafy greens such as collards, sardines with bones, etc.) could help.

There are some studies suggesting soy protein (25 g.), red wine (one glass), and dark chocolate (2 Tbsp cocoa powder or 1 to 2 oz dark chocolate) can be beneficial.

I focused mostly on exercise and weight loss in bringing my blood pressure down, but I did try to work in the various suggestions above -- not all of them every day necessarily, but at least a couple. It wasn't that big a shift, as most of those things were already part of my regular diet. I did discover new uses for cocoa powder, and discovered I actually like sardines.

I found "Blood Pressure Down" by Janet Bond Brill helpful for evidence-backed dietary suggestions.

Best of luck.
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ive heard eating oats regularly *can* lower blood pressure. I have hypertention and was on 2 types of meds for 10 years. Since I have lost weight (my diet hasn't changed and still eat some processed food) my blood pressure has come down and I am on only 1 med for hypertension now. Simply losing weight and being a bit more active has helped me with my blood pressure and my diet hasn't really changed, I just eat less.
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your posts. This is the kick I need to really think about my diet and lifestyle and make some changes.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    And as well as the above messages, go and see your doctor.
  • jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There are dietary guidelines called the DASH diet which is designed specifically for people with hypertension. It's about lifestyle change and might be useful
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    Two years ago I was on bp pills...mine was in the high range. Doctor said the concern was the lower number and it should always be under 90. Mine was consistently over 90 so I was put on bp meds, I vowed to be off of those as soon as I can, so I lost weight and now for the last year or so have not had to be on them. My bp is now optimum/normal without meds. It can be done!

That’s so reassuring to know. Thank you!
  • Valeri_Rose
    Valeri_Rose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So KDS10 it REALLY is possible to get off the BP meds? I’m so glad to hear this. I’m on Losartan and I hate the way they make me feel. I feel like my heart is racing at times. I’ve even cut them in half
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to lower mine to the acceptable range without medication. I'm pretty fit and healthy and I lost 40 Lbs, but it unfortunately didn't really make a difference for me. My hypertension is more hereditary than lifestyle.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I was 219 lb and in the pre hypertension range. (47 years old)

When I lost my 1st 30 lb my BP reduced greatly and I got it into the normal range. You can do this!