Running on the spot

Options
Quick question. I work 14 hour shifts and often use this as an excuse not to exercise so I have started running on the spot. I know I'll be burning a few bonus calories but in terms of fitness building is it half as good as real running?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    maybe a quarter to a half as good...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    RoyBeck wrote: »
    ... is it half as good as real running?

Not really. The physical movement is lifting your knees rather than projecting you forwards, so it uses far fewer muscle groups and is physically less work.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yes I see that. Any other benefits? Walking on the spot must burn calories surely so gotta be better than just sitting here right?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes I see that. Any other benefits? Walking on the spot must burn calories surely so gotta be better than just sitting here right?

anything is better than nothing, but if you want to get better at running, you need to run.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Absolutely. I intend to start running once I down a few more lbs but in the meantime while at work I'll aim for my 10000 steps in the office seeing as I'm here till 10pm tonight!! As you say it's better than nothing.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Also how does my pedometer register my steps if I'm walking on the spot????
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    some pedometers have an accelerator. As long as you move your arms it will register if you have one of those.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    It's just a free app called pedometer lol downloaded via playstore on my phone. It is pretty accurate as I've counted 500-1000 steps and then stopped and checked my phone. Thanks for explaining.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running on the spot will help with cardiovascular fitness as you're getting your hear rate up and, presumably, keeping it there for at least a few minutes at a time. Not the same as actual running but, as others have said, better than being sedentary.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Also how does my pedometer register my steps if I'm walking on the spot????

Pedometers contain accelerometers that measure vibration and extrapolate steps from there. The issue you've got is that calorie expenditure comes from moving body mass through space.

With stepping in place you're not actually doing that so any assumptions from your pedometer around calorie expenditure is invalid.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If you want something closer to running, when you do your running motion focus on launching yourself off your 'landed' leg instead of just lifting your 'forward' leg.

Essentially, instead of running/marching in place, you turn it into a series of one legged vertical jumps. Like jump rope without the rope. It's surprisingly tough to keep up for an extended period of time.