So much hate for ellipticals and cardio lately?

Options
batorkin
batorkin Posts: 281 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
While trying to lose my last little bit of gut/chest fat, I did a bit of searching and keep finding comments and videos where people are claiming ellipticals and cardio are BAD for you. They claim they support muscle loss, kill sex drive, cause knee problems, and don't burn that many calories for how much time you put into it. This blew my mind, as i've lost 92 pounds over the last 285 days doing cardio on my home elliptical (252 to 160). I know most of it was diet, but the amount of calories I burned over those days is very high and I would not have seen changes as fast without it.

This really makes me second guess if I should be doing something else though.. I am still 18% BF (male) and want to lose another 2-3 inches off my gut before I bulk. Are these people just misguided? I can see if someone only does level 1 resistance at 3MPH, then it could be a waste of time. However, I use a resistance of 10 (out of 20) at 5.5MPH, which targets 85-90% heart rate and results in (what feels like) an incredible work out.

I'm currently prioritizing lifting heavy weights over cardio, but weights don't get me drenched in sweat and I like having a good sweat a few times a week. Currently eating about 500 calories below maintenance.

Should I just keep doing what I am doing (lifting + cardio) to lose those last few inches around my waist?

Replies

• auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I think the biggest “problem” around ellipticals is that they don’t really train your body muscles in “functional movement”. So it’s better to do things like walking and stuff if you have the option to. That being said if you like using the elliptcal, you find it works well for you, and it doesn’t cause you problems then do what works for you. The opinions on health and exercise and everything seems like it changes every 2 minutes about what’s good or bad so take it all with a grain of salt.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If you can think of a claim, no matter how ridiculous it is, I would almost bet money that someone on the internet has made a video arguing for that claim. It doesn't make those ridiculous claims worth listening to.

The few kernels of truth I can see to this anti-elliptical argument:
    - If you're calculating calories burned by using the built-in computer on a piece of gym equipment, that calorie burn is often exaggerated. This is true across pieces of cardio equipment, not just ellipticals. However, if you're happy with your pace of weight loss, then don't worry about this--just keep it in mind if you plateau.
    - Most of us don't naturally do movements that closely mimic the movement of an elliptical. Ellipticals are sort of like running, sort of like cross-country skiing, sort of like stair climbing...but not exactly any of those things. This may or may not be a concern for you, depending on your goals.
    - If you have an existing injury that seems to get worse when you use an elliptical, or if you start having any new pain, then of course you should stop using the elliptical and get that checked out.

If you like using your elliptical and you like lifting, then I don't see any reason to change what you're doing. You don't need to satisfy random people on the internet. You do you.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any "cardio" since I decided to lose weight. I do cycling quite a lot but that's cycling not "cardio"

There are way too many ways to get the heart pumping and the breath heavy to do something you don't enjoy. Cardio doesn't have to be "cardio". Find an activity you enjoy that leaves you breathless and do that instead.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    While trying to lose my last little bit of gut/chest fat, I did a bit of searching and keep finding comments and videos where people are claiming ellipticals and cardio are BAD for you. They claim they support muscle loss, kill sex drive, cause knee problems, and don't burn that many calories for how much time you put into it. This blew my mind, as i've lost 92 pounds over the last 285 days doing cardio on my home elliptical (252 to 160). I know most of it was diet, but the amount of calories I burned over those days is very high and I would not have seen changes as fast without it.

This really makes me second guess if I should be doing something else though.. I am still 18% BF (male) and want to lose another 2-3 inches off my gut before I bulk. Are these people just misguided? I can see if someone only does level 1 resistance at 3MPH, then it could be a waste of time. However, I use a resistance of 10 (out of 20) at 5.5MPH, which targets 85-90% heart rate and results in (what feels like) an incredible work out.

I'm currently prioritizing lifting heavy weights over cardio, but weights don't get me drenched in sweat and I like having a good sweat a few times a week. Currently eating about 500 calories below maintenance.

Should I just keep doing what I am doing (lifting + cardio) to lose those last few inches around my waist?

Keep doing cardio. It is good for so many things like digestion/regularity, boost endorphins/lessens depression and anxiety, burn calories/lose weight, heart health, better sleep, etc.

Personally, cardio excercise helps me lose weight. Cross training with cardio and weight resistance is a good combo.

Diversifying your excercise routine helps stay off burnout/boredom, and leveling off when you reach a conditioning level; also can reduce repetitive stress injuries to joint and muscles within reasoning. So mix it up to your hearts content!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    There will always be misinformation on the internet. Always.

The only time cardio can really "hurt" is if the priority is elsewhere and the cardio is enough to cause less than optimal lifting or other exercises. Done in context with your other goals there is not going to be a downside to a better cardio base.

Quite a few people seem down on certain machines, claiming that the only way to use said machine is while plogging along slowly and reading a book. I'd suggest they put some effort in and put the book down.

We have a Precor elliptical in our home. I never used it for years, it was my wife's toy. But then I started using it and have found ways to improve both my biking and running by cross training on the elliptical. Though I'd agree that the motions usually don't really duplicate any other specific form of exercise, a good elliptical has enough variables to be able to help in many other specific areas.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio, but still do some b/c it's good for your cardiovascular system. I use the arc trainer (similar) to the elliptical. You can increase the resistance, which is better than nothing.

Have you been reading T-Nation articles? Generally, those articles are against long bouts of steady state cardio. Also (if you have lost 92lbs), are you sure it's fat at your waist...or is it loose skin? A 500 calorie deficit is pretty big if you are lifting heavy...at 160lbs, do you really need to "lose weight" or do you need to recomp?

Lift heavy, tighten up your logging, do some cardio, and be patient.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I love my steady state cardio for burning up cals and getting my sweat on, overall lower heart rate and cardiovascular health. I do it in conjunction with resistance work 4 times a week which I enjoy, but I also love to take my capable lungs and well-practiced-in-recovery muscles out on trail runs on the weekend which all the other cardio has prepared me for.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Well, sure some cardio can cause knee problems, but elliptical is one recommended for people with bad knees.

Lots of weight lifters simply dislike cardio. There are tons of funny "cardio kills gainz" memes. Here's one:

19531325.jpg
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I love cardio myself...nothing like a great sweat on from hiking/kickboxing, etc.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Love running. You just can't run after the ice cream truck! You need to be skeptical about the calorie burn your device gives you. But unless you run and then eat a scone, it's a damned good workout.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Any cardio you're going to stick with is beneficial. I don't do just one or two--I run, spin, elliptical, zumba, and a few HIIT classes here and there. I don't walk other than hiking trips as I don't really much like just walking. Strength training is 2-3 times a week, full body. I'm not an athlete and I don't have special circumstances--just an average person wanting to stay fit and lose some body fat. If I tire of doing one thing too much, I move on to something else for cardio. For me, variety is key in keeping up with fitness and nutrition.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    The reason cardio is said to prevent gains is because if you're not counting calories and you don't increase your intake when you start doing cardio, then it will put you in a deficit which would, of course, prevent gains.

For the same reason added sugar is said to lead to weight gain - if you don't count calories and introduce more sugar in your diet while not removing anything then this would lead to surplus calories and hence weight gain. They've picked added sugar instead of, say, protein because added sugar is the easiest way to sneak in more calories in one's diet without realising (provided you're not counting).

A lot of online advice, including the advice given by the government bodies, is aimed at the general population, who do not count calories. You need to use your common sence and knowledge about calories and cico in order to distinguish between relevant and irrelevant for you information.