Protein Ideas

Options
I need good protein ideas for breakfast and lunch. Tired of chicken for lunch.

I would like something quick. Protein pancakes and/or egg white omelette take too long to make for breakfast on most days. protein shakes are fine but dont keep me full till lunch.

Not big on cooking often lol so i tend to buy rotisserie chicken from costco and a salad. Need something else I can buy that will be no more than 400 calories but lots of protein and low carb.

Btw protein pancake recipe (this makes 1 serving )
1/2cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup oats
3/4 cups egg white
2 stevia (sweetener)
1 teaspoon (or more up to you) cinammon
Blend in blender and then make pancakes
They taste good and have 40 grams protein. Just not enough time to make.

Replies

• fish9283
    fish9283 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My quick breakfast is plain Greek yogurt and fruit.
  • fish9283
    fish9283 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My quick lunch is a single serving packet of tuna (they're sold plain or seasoned) on a slice of bread or on a green salad.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Beans are a good option for lunch. They are complete protein. Quick breakfast for me is non-fat cottage cheese. Also peanut butter on whole wheat or whole grain toast. Shrimp and avocado in a salad is another good lunch option. And you could always have a kid size hamburger.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Egg muffins (mini frittatas) are easy to make ahead in a muffin tin, and freeze. Just microwave to eat. Zillions of recipes via web search or pinterest. Or consider reworking your protein pancake into a muffin format to freeze.

Breakfast burritos/wraps can also be frozen and microwaved.

I usually just eat an Ezekial pita with peanut butter, plus 3/4C kefir and 3/4C hot skim milk with vanilla extract (yeah, I know the latter is weird; I'm eating this before working out, and don't like drinking coffee right before working out, so the hot milk is a trick). But this is only 30g protein for 491 calories, so doesn't meet your need.

This is a great resource for individual foods you might not have thought to build a meal around:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Have you tried baking protein muffins instead of pancakes? You could add baking powder and/or whip the egg whites separately to the other ingredients before folding them through. You could make a big batch and freeze them. I've done similar but made a big loaf to slice.

You could make them savoury if you wanted them for lunch - add spices, herbs, cheese, ham/bacon, vegies...
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Pretty basic but I eat a boiled egg most mornings along with Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or a small protein shake. On Sundays I make enough eggs to get me through the week. Sometimes I'll have a serving of turkey sausage or bacon. For lunch I love the frozen pre-grilled chicken strips. Throw some in a salad and by the time lunch comes they're thawed but not soggy and salad stays cold. Add in some sliced almonds and feta cheese for added protein.
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You can make the protein pancakes ahead and reheat in the Am.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,923 Member
    Options
    Make-Ahead Breakfast Bars

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/265839/make-ahead-breakfast-bars/

Says 6 servings, 233 calories, 14 protein, but I think it would be more like 4 servings, so more protein and calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,923 Member
    Options
    I'm not really hungry in the AM so I sip on this until I do get hungry, at lunch time:

a3bb6dde33ded0e7e6afe8002bd8a095.png

The night before, I soak the chia seeds in about 1/4 C water and brew the coffee over the coconut so it can rehydrate. The coffee has to cool some before mixing with protein powder, which can curdle otherwise. When I mix it all in a 24 oz shaker cup and add a little more water it comes to about 20 oz.
  • alves_patricia
    alves_patricia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend 0% Plain Greek Yogurt mixed with FF Jell-O Pudding Mix. Yesterday, I had 1 kg of Oikos GY & 1 package (32 g) of White Chocolate FF Jell-O for a HUGE thick (unbelievable !) bowl. The total came out to 671 calories with 97 g of protein !

You can obviously scale down but I always do big meals :P
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Your best bet for lunch is cook some extra lean meat whenever you do cook (steak, pork, fish) and store it in your fridge and then use it instead of chicken.

Hard boil a bunch of eggs for breakfast whenever and then grab a couple. Its fast, satiating, protein packed and tons of micronutrients in the yolks.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Overnight oats--40 g oats, 1/2 cup some type of nut milk, 1/2 cup yogurt, 20 g turbo chocolate whey protein (it's what I use), cinnamon, vanilla, sometimes blueberries sometimes PBFit. You can tailor it to your tastes. Sometimes I make this using buckwheat groats. BTW, this tastes like dessert or pie filling to me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Boil a half-dozen eggs at once and keep them in the fridge until needed.

Last night's lunch in a (lettuce) wrap.

Tuna, dressed with pepper.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for me is always plain greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and berries. About 40 grams of protein for ~350 calories.

Change up the protein powder flavor and the berries to keep it interesting. Lemon Meringue Pie protein powder with raspberries is my current fav.
  • CF4L
    CF4L Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a way to boost protein intake I highly recommend Syntrax Nectar protein. It actually tastes so good, doesn't even feel like a protein shake. Mixes easily.