Stubborn Biceps. Won't Grow!

Options
Hello everyone.
It’s been almost 6 months, I started my workout and I’ve been punctual to the gym ever since. Maintaining a good form and consistent increase in body weight and lifting good weight too. Although I’m happy with my schedule and diet, the only thing that worries me is my biceps. They won’t grow.

I trained them twice a week, I tried them training with and without triceps but they’ll just show up the pump for a while and get back to where they were. It’s quite frustrating when I’m putting so much efforts and cannot do anything.
Help me out guys.

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a surplus, maintenance or a deficit? What is your protein level at?

What exercises are you doing to grow your biceps? Exercise, sets and reps needed.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not knowing your programming or how resistant you are to training, there isn't much to say other than if you've trained for six months and haven't had any results, likely your volume is too low.

Arms being a smaller muscle will recover faster and will respond to more frequent stimulas without fatigue setting in as with the bigger muscles.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Likely causes

-not in a surplus
    -training too light not enough to cause adequate cell damage
    -not high enough frequency
    -not measuring and just eye balling it
    -too high stress levels/non adequate rest
    -TOO high of frequency causing too much cell damage for muscle protein synthesis to properly repair
    -training your biceps with more intensity than your triceps.. you have 2 Main muscles that make up your upper arm. Train the larger one with more purpose than the smaller one. Triceps are larger and generally produce better results in regards to growth and arm size.
  • ClairePeters56V
    ClairePeters56V Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for such active response guys. Yesterday I had a good conversation with my trainer. He also asked me to make some addition to my diet and asked me to bring changes in my training regime in regular intervals.

He also told me to focus on both the heads of my biceps. To be honest, I didn’t know about any heads of the biceps, then I researched about it and I got a detailed info on the long head and short head of biceps. I’ll also look for exercises to get both the heads working.

Just one last question. If I need peak on my biceps, is it the right time to work for it or should I wait?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    So your trainer offered no advice in regards to training your triceps to produce actual arm size? Theres no need to constantly change exercises or to train each head independently. You need to focus on volume and frequency. Along with your diet.

You're not a high level body builder. There Is no need to be doing head specific isolation training while you're still a beginner. If you want size. Do curls. Chinups. Bicep orientated rows. You're overthinking the large majority of this
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Thank you for such active response guys. Yesterday I had a good conversation with my trainer. He also asked me to make some addition to my diet and asked me to bring changes in my training regime in regular intervals.

He also told me to focus on both the heads of my biceps. To be honest, I didn’t know about any heads of the biceps, then I researched about it and I got a detailed info on the long head and short head of biceps. I’ll also look for exercises to get both the heads working.

Just one last question. If I need peak on my biceps, is it the right time to work for it or should I wait?

I am assuming you are not an advanced level - don't worry about that stuff - long head , lateral head - the peak - focus on getting big & strong everywhere. If you want big strong arms - you need a big strong body to support them. - follow a program the focuses mainly on squats , Deadlift, bench & overhead press row & pull ups. try to increase the weight or reps each work out. if you want to, you can do some bicep & triceps after you do the big lifts. do that 3X week and eat