Anybody got a saying

Options
So I am currently eating 1,200 calories a day, I need to lose 23lbs to get to my healthy weight. I am currently 143lbs last time I checked, which was last week. My starting weight was 172lbs and my goal weight is 120. I have been losing weight to better myself and for my career choice which is the Air Force. Is eating 1,200 too low to sustain and to fast? So should I eat more calories? Or stick with 1,200 calories.
I lift weights and I am gonna start doing cardio again starting tomorrow.
So anybody with tips or any saying is helpful.
Also, I plan on going to a recruiter really soon which is in about a month or 3, depending what all happens.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You should be aiming to lose 1 lb per week. Set your account up with your correct current stats, activity level, and a goal of 1 lb per week. MFP will give you a calorie goal.

If you lose weight too fast, you risk losing more muscle than you need to, which will impact your fitness and how you look. You don't say how tall you are, but unless you are tiny, you can eat more than 1200 cals and lose weight.

Read the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each board - lots of great info there. Good luck!
  • Ghxstzone
    Ghxstzone Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 5’1
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Ghxstzone wrote: »
    I am 5’1

OK, so your goal weight is reasonable. Your TDEE is probably 1800 cals or more, so you can lose a lb per week at more like 1300-1400 cals at least, I'd bet that's what MFP will give you. You aren't going to lose 25 lbs in 3 months, that's just not realistic or even advisable considering your size, but you can get close. Start at at 1 lb per week, when you get to @ 120-125, change your goal to 0.5lbs per week. I don't know the rules, but I doubt you'd need to get all the way down to 110 to apply?

Congrats on the success you've had so far!
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would ask this same question again but change the title to “trying to lose Weight to meet requirements to join Air Force.” You will get more help from people better able to give advise you. I think more important than getting to 120 is reducing body fat. Trying to lose the number of pounds you are aiming for in that short of time is going to cause you to lose some lean muscle, and as mentioned, your ability to perform during basic training will be compromised. Honestly- if you could work out with a trainer familiar with military requirements, you will feel and perform much better. I googled this but not sure if it is the most up to date info- https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.military.com/military-fitness/air-force-fitness-requirements/air-force-height-and-weight-charts/amp

Good luck in achieving your goals! Your determination will get you quite far.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    "The only way to fail is to quit."
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Set your pace of weight loss on MFP to 1 pound per week. You may or may not get much more than 1200 calories; being short and not having a lot of weight to lose means your calorie goal is probably not going to be very high. However, your MFP calorie goal does not include exercise unless you set your activity level to something more than "sedentary." If you're exercising, then you should be eating back exercise calories. Because estimates of exercise calories burned are often exaggerated, many people prefer to eat half their exercise calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    “Don’t complain about the results you didn’t get from the work you didn’t do.”
  • TroyWebber
    TroyWebber Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    "When in doubt,whip it out."
  • reposadojo
    reposadojo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If it says diet, don't try it

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    unless you faint, puke or die, keep going....
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The process is the goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The process is the goal.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you are tired of starting over, stop quitting.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take - Wayne Gretzky” - Michael Scott
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    “The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.”
    ― Thomas A. Edison
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    "Acceptance is the key to happiness."

I don't look at that as I must accept what I have, but rather that I must accept what is required to get where I want to be.
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    #ExerciseSelfCare. A reminder to both practice self-care in general, and that exercise is part of how I take care of myself mind, body, and spirit.

"Is this worth it?"--this is my "diet". I lack the patience and inclination for anything more structured that calorie counting and asking myself this question. Is it worth the calories? Is it worth eating? Is it worth shifting my balance so that I can fit it into my day. Is it worth being fat for? (the last one is more facetious, but you get it)
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I will face my fear. It will pass over me and through me. When it is gone, only I will remain!
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    My saying is "just do it". It makes sense to me, because if it is counting my calories or exercising or just about anything else in my life that is keeping me from my goal. Another of mine is "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" applied to dieting - just because you can have birthday cake, dessert, chips (whatever you like), doesn't mean you should have it (because you can eat it again someday, but not right now).