New: Macro help?

Options
vig98a52to4z.jpg

I should know this, but what are macros and why are they important? How do you choose how to calculate your macro needs?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Macros are the nutrients that provide energy - fat, protein and carbs.
    They are important mostly because adherence to calorie target is important.
    There are so many ways to calculate your macro needs, that you can even choose to ignore it, unless you're truly interested.
  • simplypositive01
    simplypositive01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm truly interested!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Macros, like @kommodevaran said, are FAT (dietary fat, not body fat. Not at all related), PROTEIN, and CARBOHYDRATES (and technically alcohol, but don't worry about that right now).

Protein and carbs are 4 calories per 1 gram.
    Fat is 9 calories per 1 gram.

Calories are what determine your weight. Too many and you will gain. Too few and you will lose. Just right and you will maintain.

How to calculate your macros depends lots of things. People find that different macros help them feel more full (satiety). Some people find fat helps keep them full. Others protein. Others carbs. And others need a mix. You will have to experiment to see what works for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Just start with the default macros Myfitnesspal gives you, they are based on sound nutrition advice.

They are 50% Carbs / 30% Fat / 20% Protein.

I used the defaults all throughout my weight loss of 75 pounds, and still use them eleven years on.

Unless you have some reason to change them, just start there while you are getting used to what's what and how to log. Look at your protein and fat as numbers to hit every day (or go above.) Those are minimum Goals and the protein especially is really important. Carbs can fall where they fall.

I'm often way over with fats, and under with carbs. It's all good.
  • simplypositive01
    Options
    Ok! Cool! I'm guessing I need more fats just from past experience. Hence one of the reasons I left weight watchers even after losing 90ish pounds with them. I couldn't figure out how to get my fats in, which really keep me full and happy after they made the switch to freestyle. Anyway, thanks for both of your information! I'm really excited to play around with macros and find my balance. 😊
  • simplypositive01
    Options
    @cmriverside thank you!
    @kommodevaran @quiksylver296 I'm just figuring out that in order for you to see my reply I have to tag you. Oops! Read my reply above. 😘
  • cmriverside
    Options
    You can clickety "Quote" too, and the text you reply to will be copied into the reply box, and we will be tagged automatically...if we have that enabled. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Macros are: Carbohydrates, fat, and protein

Macros are what make up your calories: 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate, 4 calories per gram of protein, 9 calories per gram of dietary fat.

There is no universally optimal macro ratio. A bodybuilder's ideal macro ratio would be different than that of a marathon runner, etc.

It's basically something you just have to play with. Just start with the default and see how that goes and make adjustments. I personally prefer a diet higher in protein than the default and slightly less carbs. When I was dieting and using %s I ended up with a split of 40c/30p/30f which gave me close to around 0.7-0.8 grams of protein per Lb of body weight.
  • simplypositive01
    Options
    You can clickety "Quote" too, and the text you reply to will be copied into the reply box, and we will be tagged automatically...if we have that enabled. :)

Ohhhh good to know! So much easier! Thank you! Lol
  • simplypositive01
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Macros are: Carbohydrates, fat, and protein

Macros are what make up your calories: 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate, 4 calories per gram of protein, 9 calories per gram of dietary fat.

There is no universally optimal macro ratio. A bodybuilder's ideal macro ratio would be different than that of a marathon runner, etc.

It's basically something you just have to play with. Just start with the default and see how that goes and make adjustments. I personally prefer a diet higher in protein than the default and slightly less carbs. When I was dieting and using %s I ended up with a split of 40c/30p/30f which gave me close to around 0.7-0.8 grams of protein per Lb of body weight.

Thank you so much for this information! I love hearing and learning from all you pros!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    MFP will set default macro targets that you can play with. The calculator here: https://fitlabs.ru/calc/ gives you a few more choices and options to help determine what will work best for you, your body type, current stats and goals.
  • simplypositive01
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    MFP will set default macro targets that you can play with. The calculator here: https://fitlabs.ru/calc/ gives you a few more choices and options to help determine what will work best for you, your body type, current stats and goals.

Ooo nice! Thank you!!!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I just wanted to say I think your photo in the first post is so cute!

(not flirting. I'm an old lady. I gave up flirting before you were born most likely. :lol: )
  • simplypositive01
    Options
    I just wanted to say I think your photo in the first post is so cute!

(not flirting. I'm an old lady. I gave up flirting before you were born most likely. :lol: )

Haha Thank you! 😘