Live Below The Line- 31 Day Challenge

Replies

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited August 2018
    crazyravr wrote: »
    You know what would be beneficial, if you were to post how much of each you actually eat, because I seriously dont see this happening with the cost per meal you are posting.

Can you see my diary? I made it public so you could see portions. I don't know if myfitnesspal allows you to see recipes others have created, as this is how I've been logging, otherwise hand entering each ingredient would drive me crazy lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    You know what would be beneficial, if you were to post how much of each you actually eat, because I seriously dont see this happening with the cost per meal you are posting.
    Can you see my diary? I made it public so you could see portions. I don't know if myfitnesspal allows you to see recipes others have created, as this is how I've been logging, otherwise hand entering each ingredient would drive me crazy lol.

Along these lines, I was confused about the dessert calories - how many servings does it make? You logged one serving at 219 calories. The peanut butter alone is around 400 calories.

I've made something similar with just oats, PB, raisins, and spices but don't have it often as it is so caloric. I like the idea of adding carrots for bulk at little calories.
  • bostonjim23
    bostonjim23 Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2018
    The biggest problem with eating cheaply is malnutrition as i am sure you are noticing since you already stated that your taking vitamins before even starting which most low income can not afford. let alone most people who are dirt poor do not have a farm to get there crops which if they did your total income on food could be zero with growing your own. I am glad that your trying to save money though there is no compression.
  • bostonjim23
    bostonjim23 Posts: 41 Member
    @cmriverside because your trying to turn something into something that it's not. It would be like some one saying for a day i want to see what it's like being homeless an spend the day on the street an at night sleep in there house.
  • Leslierussell4134
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Along these lines, I was confused about the dessert calories - how many servings does it make? You logged one serving at 219 calories. The peanut butter alone is around 400 calories.

I've made something similar with just oats, PB, raisins, and spices but don't have it often as it is so caloric. I like the idea of adding carrots for bulk at little calories.

It only made 4 servings, my husband ate all 3 of the others.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Day 4

Today was a little rough, long work day and I struggled to get the calories in (made up for it at dinner). Took my a long time to finished my shake, it was so dang hot and I wasn't hungry. Not sure if it's a good thing to force myself to eat, I just don't want to feel crummy under eating or not getting enough protein. Nevertheless, it was a success. I did however change things up and start taking my multi vitamin, as I believe I am lacking in Iron and calcium on this challenge so far. Other nutrients have been good, and I've been supplementing B12 twice weekly since going more plant based in May. I did have to adjust the calcium pricing, as a recent bottle cost more than previous, but I've included them in my daily totals.

Breakfast- see diary for serving sizes
    Oats
    Carrot
    Peanuts butter
    Banana
    Stevia
    Cinnamon
    Total $0.32

Lunch
    Sam's Beans
    Sam's Rice
    Veggie Soup
    Total $0.57

Dinner
    Sam's Beans
    Sam's Rice
    Veggie Soup
    Tortillas
    (Gaucamole- Avocado free from neighbors yard, traded for squash from our garden)
    $0.66

Supplements
    Vega Multi $0.13
    Vega Calcium $0.14
    Doctors Best B12 1500mcg $0.07
    Total $0.34

Daily Total $1.89

Stats:
    Protein 49g
    Carbs 289g
    Fat 32 g
    Fiber 42g

Good night all,

Leslie
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2018
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It only made 4 servings, my husband ate all 3 of the others.

That makes sense, thanks. Looks yummy!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

Day 4

Oats
    Carrot
    Peanuts butter
    Banana
    Stevia
    Cinnamon
    Total $0.32

Can I ask what you're paying for bananas and peanut butter? In the places I shop, bananas are 59 cents a pound, and at roughly 5 to 6 ounces per banana (unpeeled -- you have to pay for the peel, even though you don't eat it :smile: ) that's already 20 cents. I don't buy the cheapest peanut butter, but I'm pretty sure even the cheap ones are at least 10 cents an ounce at a "normal" sale price (i.e., not some once-a-year, valid only with $50 purchase, sale price). So that's 30 cents, leaving only 2 cents for all of the other ingredients.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Did you buy the stevia? or did you have it already in your pantry? It is so awesome that you have a neighbor with an avocado tree. It's a nice way to get some fats in your diet.
  • Leslierussell4134

Day 4

Oats
    Carrot
    Peanuts butter
    Banana
    Stevia
    Cinnamon
    Total $0.32

Can I ask what you're paying for bananas and peanut butter? In the places I shop, bananas are 59 cents a pound, and at roughly 5 to 6 ounces per banana (unpeeled -- you have to pay for the peel, even though you don't eat it :smile: ) that's already 20 cents. I don't buy the cheapest peanut butter, but I'm pretty sure even the cheap ones are at least 10 cents an ounce at a "normal" sale price (i.e., not some once-a-year, valid only with $50 purchase, sale price). So that's 30 cents, leaving only 2 cents for all of the other ingredients.

Absolutely, thanks for asking. So I buy my peanut butter at Winco, they have a peanut grinder there, so you can buy whatever amount you'd like for $2.02/ lb. So it comes out to $0.13 per 30g serving, or 2 Tbsp, I measured to make sure. My bananas are $1.18 for 3 lbs from Sam's club, I bought bunches with 10 bananas making them $0.12 per. I shopped at those two stores for this month's groceries.
  • Leslierussell4134
    edited August 2018
    Did you buy the stevia? or did you have it already in your pantry? It is so awesome that you have a neighbor with an avocado tree. It's a nice way to get some fats in your diet.

So I did buy the Stevia, as I have some growing at the moment, but I'm letting the plant mature before I start plucking it. The Stevia comes out to $0.02 per 4 drop serving.
    Avocados are life for me! Hoping to get some more from the neighbor soon, we may be swapping squash for them from our garden. This was not in our rules when we began, but it makes sense to be fair. I think trade of goods is appropriate in most all circumstances 😉
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

So I did buy the Stevia, as I have some growing at the moment, but I'm letting the plant mature before I start plucking it. The Stevia comes out to $0.02 per 4 drop serving.
    Avocados are life for me! Hoping to get some more from the neighbor soon, we may be swapping squash for them from our garden. This was not in our rules when we began, but it makes sense to be fair. I think trade of goods is appropriate in most all circumstances 😉

Bartering is a good plan.

Freecycle.com