Sugar

Options
so I had a way whacked out day being gone and running after kids so I didn't have enough calories. When I checked my diary, I was OVER on sugar. I about peed myself! I had ONE banana and ONE 5 oz. container of Greek yogurt with honey. Those were my only significant sugar items and I was over. So I want to know, is the amount of sugar realistic? I know I am usually over but to be over after the minimal and pretty healthy way I ate today seems shocking.

Replies

• laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I only pay attention to the sugar level that come from sources other than fruit, otherwise I don't think it's realistic.

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I stopped looking at my sugars, cause the sugars I do in take are from fruit, and yes, super frustrating when you look at those numbers.
  • meliturtlee
    Options
    I was wondering the same, I am always over my sugar intake. I want to tackle the problem now before it hinders my weight loss efforts. What foods with natural sugars should I ignore?
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    ah honey honey.

do do do dooooo

your are my candy girl, and i see me wanting youuuuu

(im in a weird mood)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Don't ignore any sugars. Sugar is sugar, regardless of the source it comes from. All sugar is 4 calories a gram. Even sugar from fruit, sugar from milk, sugar from sugar. All of it is the same calorie wise, your body doesn't care where it came from.

Truth be told, the upper limit I've seen from doctors for healthy, non-diabetic people is 100 grams of total sugar a day, but they also recommend to stay as far under that as possible. The FDA recommends total sugar as being about 5% of your total calorie intake per day (about 30 grams for a 2,000 calorie diet.) If you aren't insulin sensitive, or diabetic, the amount of sugar you eat is really irrelevant. As long as you aren't going over the total calories you are supposed to be eating, then it doesn't matter.

Obviously if you are insulin resistant or diabetic, only your doctor can tell you how much sugar is too much.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I mostly agree with Tiger - though my understanding is although the all sugar is pretty much equal - the sugar in fruit is not processed by us in the same way to added sugar due to fiber. But I "think" you can't just completely ignore sugar from fruit, veg etc. And honey being any better is a misnomer.

Anyway for a good full ins & outs of sugar (though there's heaps of others around) check this out -

http://www.reducetriglycerides.com/diet_triglycerides_sugar.htm

but read the whole thing - not just the first few paras and think you have the full picture...

And PS - I have come to conclude that MFP sugar quota is reasonably realistic in terms of a target to aim for. Not that I ever do achieve staying under but I do aim for it :)
  • tigersword
    Options
    If fructose in fruit is processed differently due to fiber, then it stands to reason that eating foods high in fiber with any type of sugar will change the way sugar is processed. I don't know if the science bears that out or not. I know fructose is metabolized differently than other sugars (in the liver, and not with insulin,) but they've found that fructose in the system can still cause a blood sugar spike like a similar amount of glucose. They've also found an odd connection where the body seems to absorb more fructose when there's glucose present than it would without glucose present. They don't know why it works that way, but it seems consistent.

Also, that article lost me when they admitted that they couldn't scientifically prove that sugar was bad, and then went on to list all the evidence that proves sugar is bad. It makes some good points, but kinda discredited itself there. A little poorly written.

"Science hasn't proven it, but I promise you it's the truth," just doesn't really make for a convincing argument. :laugh:
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    "Science hasn't proven it, but I promise you it's the truth," just doesn't really make for a convincing argument. <= ROFL - there is that :wink:
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    READ THIS LINK FROM THE USDA FOR SOME INFORMATION ON FRUITS

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/foodgroups/fruits_why.html
  • tigersword
    Options
    Most of the benefits that the USDA link lists for fruit can also apply to oats, and several other foods as well. There's no one right way to eat.