Leg Day.

Options
How important is it to switch up workouts? I stick to hip thrusts, cable kick backs, leg extensions, leg press, and a few squats on the smith machine. Is there any workout plan I can follow for free that will help me make progress even if I’m on a deficit. I want a huge booty with thick legs! Anyone have any experience? 👀

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves. Did you check it out yet?
  • sardelsa
    edited August 2018
    Options
    And yea weight loss and huge booty usually don't happen together, unfortunately. (Unless you have a glorious muscle foundation and are losing the fat around it to reveal it and make it pop )
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If you want a huge booty then you need to be following a bret contreras program (strong curves). Although if you're trying to lose weight you won't grow your butt, but it will still look better.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    If you want a huge booty then you need to be following a bret contreras program (strong curves). Although if you're trying to lose weight you won't grow your butt, but it will still look better.

I've recommended it in every thread OP has posted.

OP...

http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I got the strong curves book from the library, so I paid nothing. The templates themselves are online (see above) but the book is good reading material for understanding the "why" behind it especially if you're new to weight lifting/working out. Also- in the book he gives a general template for how to build your own program once you're done with Strong Curves.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I got the strong curves book from the library, so I paid nothing. The templates themselves are online (see above) but the book is good reading material for understand the "why" behind it especially if you're new to weight lifting/working out.

Yea I agree, the book is worth it's weight in gold or more. I still reference it all the time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Jarettzy18 wrote: »
    How important is it to switch up workouts? I stick to hip thrusts, cable kick backs, leg extensions, leg press, and a few squats on the smith machine. Is there any workout plan I can follow for free that will help me make progress even if I’m on a deficit. I want a huge booty with thick legs! Anyone have any experience? 👀

Strong Curves...but you're not really going to build a huge booty and thick legs while you're in a calorie deficit. If you're new and over weight, you might put on a small bit of muscle, but noob gains are short lived. To put on significant mass you would have to be in a calorie surplus.
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ok so let’s say I have muscle right now and I want to lose about 50 lbs. what can I do to not lose my glutes? I don’t want to get skinny from my lower body because I don’t really have fat there it’s mainly just muscle I carry most of my weight in my upper body
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ok so let’s say I have muscle right now and I want to lose about 50 lbs. what can I do to not lose my glutes? I don’t want to get skinny from my lower body because I don’t really have fat there it’s mainly just muscle I carry most of my weight in my upper body

Following a program like Strong Curves (or other structured program...but SC seems most suited to your goals) and eating at a reasonable deficit with plenty of protein will help preserve the muscle you have.
  • sardelsa
    Options

-eat in a deficit (not too steep)
    - get adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb goal weight)
    - Follow a progressive program like Strong Curves. Make sure you are progressing over time.. weight lifted, volume, etc. And giving enough volume to the glutes.

Sometimes we don't know how much muscle we really have until we start to get leaner. There is nothing else you can do. Get to a healthy weight then you can focus on recomp if you wish (eating at maintenance to lose fat and gain muscle over time)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

There's absolutely no way to ensure that you lose no fat from a specific part of your body. You're going to lose it from all over. If you carry a disproportionately large amount of fat in your upper body as opposed to your lower body (e.g., if you are "apple shaped") then you will likely remain disproportionately fatter on top than on bottom until the last few pounds.
  • JanetReyna
    Options
    Agh. Sometimes I feel surgery will be way easier. It’s kind of complicated since I need to lose fat but keep my muscle from my lower body. I don’t track my macros I don’t have time for that but I eat in a deficit although I’m aware I need to eat more protein. Do I have to pay for SC program?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Just to come at this from the other direction...

Are you sure you're ready for this? You're right, it's not easy, and it's not quick, and it's not ideal. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you. It's ok if it's not, but if that's the case, admit it (at least to yourself) and don't worry with the excuses and shortcuts and whatever else.

Then again, maybe I'm reading the tone of your posts entirely wrong...
  • JanetReyna
    Options
    What? Lol. All I’m stating is it’s complicated. Like I feel I stress too much over this but I just know I don’t want to lose weight and lose my glutees. I don’t want to end up looking skinny fat.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    What? Lol. All I’m stating is it’s complicated. Like I feel I stress too much over this but I just know I don’t want to lose weight and lose my glutees. I don’t want to end up looking skinny fat.

If you follow the above advice you should help retain what you have. But you may or may not be satisfied with your body composition when you get to goal. Then you can either recomp or bulk depending on your goals. It can take a lot of time and dedication.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I have a huge butt and huge legs tbh. I compete in powerlifting; in the off-season, I squat heavy for volume.

You don't have to pay for a program; I picked up a couple of strength training books from library (Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, Wendlers 5/3/1) and just copied those plans into a notebook.

If you're dieting, the best thing to some is squat heavy and squat for reps to maintain the muscle you do have. It's not complicated...it's just a long process.
  • JanetReyna
    Options
    Sardelsa I had inboxed you like last week. Did you ever get my msg? If not, can you inbox me please.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Sardelsa I had inboxed you like last week. Did you ever get my msg? If not, can you inbox me please.

No I'm sorry I don't think I recieved it! I will
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Please don’t ever consider surgery as an easier path...your best proportions will look more natural working with what you have and building from there. Strong curves is an excellent program to get you on that path to building a strong foundation for your glutes!