Shin Splints....Ouch!

Options
kel7298
kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
Not sure what i did differently but definitely need to figure it out. I have somehow acquired shin splits and I honestly don't know how. I do quite a bit of walking so it wasn't like I am not used to it. Below is my usual walking routine for a week: (not including other forms of exercise I do as well)

30 minutes walking on the treadmill - at least once a week
90 minutes walking dogs at the animal shelter - at least once a week
20 minutes on the elliptical - at least 3 times a wee

The only thing differently I did this past week was walk Molly (a dog we are dog sitting for) Saturday for an additional 30 minutes.

Sunday my shins were screaming! Regular walking is somewhat uncomfortable:ohwell: , walking the dog is horrible:sad: . I ended up jogging (I can not jog :embarassed: or maybe I just don't like it:grumble: ) half the time so I could deal with the pain. Yesterday did not seem much better and I ended up jogging again. Today they are still sore. :noway:

Do I need new shoes? Perhaps different shoes? Could walking on pavement be the culprit?

Help please!

Replies

• DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Shoes or possibly insoles (Dr. Scholls, etc) would help. I had to go buy a new pair of shoes when I started walking/jogging on a regular basis because I tend to walk on the outside edge of my foot, so wear out my shoes in that direction.
  • panda_rocks
    panda_rocks Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    how long have you owned your current shoes\/? they may need to be replaced....
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The pavement is a very good possibility for the pain. It's a surface that it doesn't sound like you have been used to walking on. combined with the shoes, etc.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    walking or jogging on pavement can be a problem. But shoes are more likely the culprit. If you've been doing this for a while, you may not even notice that you are getting better and faster at just walking. As muscle and flexibility increase, the impact of legs can increase. It's not a bad thing, it's just that some changes in posture and form need to match the intensity. Shoes will definitely help. try cross-training shoes. good heal support is important. try jogging just to jog a couple times a week to get your form right. keep your impact to a minimum. glide, don't march. most of all, as for right now, let your shins heal. ice them and wait for them to heal before doing any jogging and maybe wait to even walk very far.

hope this helps
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    if its true shin splints then you need to rest, I suspect its not true shin splints.

I have a similar problem and have been advised to stretch the muscles out correctly and fully but only when warm.
  • kel7298
    Options
    how long have you owned your current shoes\/? they may need to be replaced....

Not real sure...I will guess 1 yr.
  • kel7298
    Options
    if its true shin splints then you need to rest, I suspect its not true shin splints.

I have a similar problem and have been advised to stretch the muscles out correctly and fully but only when warm.

I understand the concept of warm ups. I do that.

What do "true" shi splints" feel like?
  • karyngrace
    karyngrace Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints for a while, and they absolutely killed me!!! the best thing you can do is rest your legs, no walking and no jogging and get to a physio asap!
    I was out of action for a month, then when i was able to walk without being in pain i made sure i stretched heaps, iced my shins after excercise and wore one of those compression bandages, my physio said I got mine from wearing the wrong shoes and pushing myself too much when i ran!!! but yeah best to see a physio so you know exactly whats going on!
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    A good shoe can only at the most handle 300 - 500 miles. I got a pair of Asics gel... I love them and will only buy this kind of shoe now. Academy Sports has them for 55 bucks
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Did you do extra walking downhill? The reason I ask is that's about the only time I feel the muscles around my shins being used, really, though I don't experience any pain. If you've been going up and down hills this could be a cause. In this case, the pain should ease after a couple of days? I agree with the good shoes idea. It took me a while but I finally found the right ones! Insoles too - they're worth a try if you don't want to spend on new shoes. You're so fit generally, that I can't really see you having any long term damage. I hope not! Keep well Kelly!
  • strongissexy1
    Options
    I actually had this probalem last month and after doing lots of googling self diagnosed myself with shin splints then went to the doctor to verify (indeed it was shin splint)
    She had me go buy new shoes. You may need shoes with more stability (if you can fold them in half. toe to heal or twist them they arent stable) try New Balance or Asics. Running shoes are to be replaced every 1-1.5 years.
    Icing your legs also really helps and you could try taping them (there are tons of youtube videos on it) but definitely rest for at least a few days and start back up slowly.
  • kel7298
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I went ahead and ordered a new pair of Asics Cross Trainers since that is what I mostly do.