Slimming World newbie!

Anyone have any tips for a slimming world newbie? Just started last night and went to the group.
Finding everything I usually eat (and I consider my diet healthy, workout 4 times a week) is a syn! Like soup, smoothies, greek yogurt! I'm changing quite a lot and opting for weetabix, packed salads and lots of fruit for snacking and anything from the sw recipes for tea.

I'm not one to lose weight fast, so I'm doubtful I'll lose a lot...

Replies

• ash1864
    ash1864 Posts: 24 Member
    My greatest tip is to stop it. You're at a free website that has all the tools you need to lose weight, safely, effectively and comfortably. Notice I didn't say fast? That's right, weightloss is a slow process, and it takes patience and changes in habits and attitudes.

Well - I have lost weight previously (around 2 and a half stone) just on my own and healthy eating & exercise. I've been doing that since 2014 and feel much better for it. But for the last year my weight has completely plateaued, even though I've cut down, done more exercise. My principles I've used before to lose weight are now not working.

So that's why I'm trying something new to see if I can change the way I eat to see if a change will happen. If it doesn't work then fine! I'm not a faddy diet person, I'm reasonably well educated on nutrition and I don't fully agree with everything Slimming World preaches. I don't want to lose weight fast - however slimming world seems to think I may lose 7lbs in my first week, but knowing my body and how I lose weight that probably won't happen for me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    As you get lighter, you can't lose as fast, because your body doesn't have enough accessible fat to get the same calorie deficit from.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    If you’ve plateaued for a year, you’re maintaining your weight-which is a great accomplishment! Just create a 250 calorie daily deficit and eat the food you enjoy.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    edited August 2018
    Diet wise SW may not be great if it’s not how you like to eat BUT some people really benefit from the weekly check in at the meetings.

The use of Syn is unfortunate - I believe it’s meant to be about synergy rather than calling food sinful - not many people view it that way though. If you eat extra syns and still lose weight it doesn’t matter does it, I think a healthy diet should focus more on adding good food than completely avoiding what you normally eat
  • lannie1303
    lannie1303 Posts: 5 Member
    I don’t follow SW in terms of weigh ins or meetings but I do like a lot of the recipes. I take the recipe and use the recipe builder on here to work out the calories instead. I also don’t use artificial sweetener or spray oil as they suggest and just count in my calories for olive oil. I don’t have a particularly sweet tooth so I find the sweetener unnecessary in a lot of the recipes.
    I batch cook a lot e.g bolognese, chicken jalfrezi, beef Chana Saag recipes from the site and freeze them all. Really easy to track as I have all the info in my recipe builder here and don’t need to work everything out when it comes out the freezer.
    Good luck x