Exercise that work??

Starting out again for the umpteenth time:( Hope to achieve my goals this time around.I have done the P90x on and off.....though i did gain muscle strength and a little definition...no weight loss,and my tummy is still huge.Have done jillian 30 day shred too...again did not do it continuously.I always believed in the doctrine "lots of exercise = lots of weightloss"...until a friend came along and showed off her immense weight los with diet alone ..LOL.With that said...i would like to know which of the exercise programs helped you.Also exercise vs diet (please don't tell both:) ) whats your opinion?:heart::heart:

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]10333198.png[/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    I know you don't want to hear both, but it's true. However, from everything I've read in Oxygen magazine (love it!) diet is 80% of it.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    diet + exercise

im a fan of doing exercise yourself, you dont see the Armed forces using DVD's, they are just a money spinner for the makers (IMO)

cant beat old fashioned exercises

sit-ups , press -ups , squats , dips ( using the bottom of the stairs) walking swimming
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    exercise AND diet. I know you want to hear it was one or the other - but it was both - I did the wii active 2 nine week workout along with lowering my caloric intake and I lost 30# in 4 months. I have never felt better
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    I have done The Firm work outs in the past and have had a lot of success with those. I have also had success using the total gym. However, running is my favorite. As far as Exercise vs. Diet sorry I can't just pick one it really is both. If I didn't have exercise I would never make my calorie goals on a regular basis.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Diet: for nutrition and health, weight loss (or gain).

Exercise: for fitness & strength.

Obviously it is more complex than that, but that's the quick answer to your question.
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    You say that you did p90x and 30DS 'on and off'. Nothing will work if you don't stick to it! I find, though, that getting out and running is a lot more satisfying to me than a DVD. Lots of exercise CAN equal lots of weight loss, but it really depends on what you're eating. If you don't create a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight. For me, diet is way more pivotal; that's how I lose weight. That being said, exercise and fitness in general are as important for your health as simply losing weight is.
  • wow...am i glad or what that i came across this website.Love the quick responses. Also all your answers proved my gut instincts right ...lol. On my way to implement them......Thanks everyone.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    I feel it is all about diet. I exercise so I can have a bigger diet. I am sure I am toning and what not, but the way that I feel exercise helps me lose weight is that it ups my a-lotted calories to eat making it easier to stick with. So I exercise for my diet...if that even makes sense.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    for the best results, for YOU feeling the best YOU, I say both :) I also say choose a cardio workout AND a toning workout to help both heart and to build strength. You will feel so very good you won't regret it:) AND this is a great support group here!
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    I think each person is different. My husband and I can follow the same program and he will lose 20-30 pounds in a matter of months and I struggle with losing 10. I have friends who can do P90X and eat junk and lose weight. I can do P90X and follow their diets and barely lose anything. I think you'll do well to find a program that you like and enjoy and focus on eating healthy (or make healtheir choices). Recently I've seen good results with my walking for an hour a day, and substituing fruits and vegetables in place of junk
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Diet= 80-90% of weight loss
    Exercise= 10-20% of weight loss

Diet will get the weight off the fastest. Exercise will be an added benefit plus has so many other wonderful benefits like increased strength, increased energy, heart health, etc.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    You know it's both! It's absolutely possible to lose weight without exercise but you are never going to have a rockin' body without exercise. Also, it does not work the opposite way, you won't lose weight with a bunch of exercise if you don't change your diet.

Good luck, please let me know if I can help :flowerforyou:
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    IT (whatever program you COMMIT to) will work if you work it. You must stay on track with your program and correct your eating habits. That's how I did it! Trust me... it works if YOU work it.

Cheers!
  • You can do it - today is a new day - a new beginning.:flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    For me, I need both. However, I know plenty of people who lost weight fine without any exercise at all. I don't know anyone who lost with just exercise. Most people overestimate what they burn during a workout and then eat accordingly, which will not result in a loss.

As for what exercises work, well, all of them. It's really a matter of what you enjoy and what you'll stick to. Just walking every day is good enough if it's all you want or can commit to. I lost 34 pounds with walking and yoga.
  • tlcurr7u
    tlcurr7u Posts: 19
    I know you don't want to hear both, but it's true. However, from everything I've read in Oxygen magazine (love it!) diet is 80% of it
    You need to fuel your body well if you want it to work hard...aka burn some calories. also keep in mind that your stomach is not going to just bounce right back...once the skin has been streched even when you loose the weight it's never going to look like it did years and years ago before you found this amazing stuff called food.lolz Muscle weighs more than fat also so if you are loosing weight and gaining muscle in return then you are still getting somewhere even if it's not everything you hoped and dreamed for with the idea of loosing weight. I'm not a personal trainer but I know a lot of them because my field is Kinesiology. the key to exercise and diet weightloss (and this site shoulds help) simply burn off more calories with exercise than you take in (consuming food). Also remember though that it's not all about calories...cause if you eat too much of anything the body stores it as fat in case of a famine.lolz

BEST OF LUCK!! hope this helps a little...
  • tlcurr7u
    tlcurr7u Posts: 19
    I've seen friends of mine loose the weight first through dieting and then worry about toning up and building muscle ... that might help you see the difference in a better light.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    it's all about food.... seriously, until you control your food, you won't get the results you want.

that's all there is to it. i wish it wasn't that way, because i love food, but it just is.

i love exercise, and am happy to do it, but without having the food sorted, the process is ridiculously slow and you will only get to a certain point and then stop.

there is no magic bullet, the only magic bullet is not eating to excess and exercising regularly.