need some help here please!

Options
Guys my knees kills me whenever i run or do any workout that include it. I stopped running (which is my favorite workout) cause i thought the reason is my weight (i'm 80 kg, 168 cm) and delay it when i lose some weight but yesterday i was jogging in the place for 10 minutes and every thing was fine. but when i wake up the next day i couldn't stand up on my feet cause of the pain in the back of my leg and i have no idea why this is happening.
Should i see a doctor?or this is normal!

Replies

• Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Are you a heel runner? You may need to invest in running shoes that have more cushion for the heel. Go to a running store and let them evaluate your form on the treadmill, then they will advise you on the shoe
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Start slowly. If you are having pain, see a doctor. Then, get fitted for proper running shoes. Start with short intervals of walking and running. Couch25k is a great program. You are probably doing too much too soon and too fast. Slow down.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    See a doctor and get a diagnosis, or an attempt at a diagnosis from medical professionals who can examine you (not all diagnoses are quick). You'll also want to ask about physical therapy if your doctor doesn't bring it up.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    First, see your doctor to make sure everything is ok.

Second, go to a real runner's store and have them examine you're gait. They can look at you in ways you never could, and with experience in running mechanics you probably don't have. While shoes are important, they may also be able to give you pointers on how to modify your gait/stride for better efficiency and less wear on the body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    when you say back of your legs do you mean calves or thighs? were you running bare foot on the spot? did you stretch afterwards?
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    First priority, go and see a doctor.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    Doctor and diagnosis. Some problems will go away with gradually increased fitness. Some problems require physical therapy (which can include teaching you proper technique if relevant). Some problems require more extreme measures, such as surgery or eliminating particular types of exercise.

Most importantly: Some problems will get worse, to the point of permanently burned bridges, without diagnosis/treatment. See your doctor.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Doctor, yes. But hopefully there is nothing wrong that can't be addressed by a PT/Trainer. The issue for beginning runners is often lack of strength in the leg muscles, which makes the kneecap a bit loose, causing pain. It can be addressed by resistance training and other leg exercises.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Try spinning.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Do you have good shoes? Pain is your body's way of letting you know that something is wrong. I would definitely see a Dr. If you can, keep a diary until your appointment describing what you are doing when the pain hits and try to pinpoint and assess the pain. You may have to find another exercise.
  • gennaro001
    gennaro001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Use a foam roller. Could be tightness.
  • aflotwin
    aflotwin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also a runner and have not been able to run for several months because of an Achilles injury. I took up swimming as a result and it is such a great workout. Not to mention, the cold water has many anti inflammatory and healing properties. Hope you get well soon!
  • mattsavigear
    mattsavigear Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely consult a doctor as task 1.

I can't run with heel strike as my knees give up after a few days, however I can run (8k most days) with forefoot or midfoot strike with no problems. I started with those FiveFingers shoes* but now I tend to use regular zero-drop running flats unless I'm going off-road. If you do look at this route, start very slowly because you'll likely be firing a whole bunch of muscles which aren't used to it.

*Which did work for me but certainly don't buy into the full-on hype around them!
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    gennaro001 wrote: »
    Use a foam roller. Could be tightness.

I second the foam roller. I was dubious it would help me but a foam roller solved the pain in the back of my legs caused by running over night. Best $30 I ever spent!