Soda

Options
Does anyone else still drink soda? I burn the calories off, and i have limited myself to one a day but I can’t quit 😭

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I avoid it just because of the sugar levels. I'd rather have fruit.
  • kathan01
    kathan01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I cut down from a 6 pack of cokes a day to 1 or 2 a week. It took me 2yrs to get to this point but can't seem to just get off it completely.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need to quit? How is it hindering your goals, if you are able to fit it into your calories for the day and you enjoy it? Is it crowding out other nutrients? Have you considered diet soda?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I switched to diet so I don't have to worry about it :lol: Every once in a blue moon I'll get s regular soda at a restaurant or something, but the taste of diet has grown on me!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,738 Member
    Options
    I used to drink at least 2L a day of Coke. I had given it up completely for about 6 months, but have started having a cup here and there again. I just make sure I log it, and have room for it in my calorie count for the day.
  • ryanidk
    ryanidk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I ended up quitting by forcing myself to drink water instead. I just kept a water bottle and anytime I had a craving for soda I filled it and drank that instead. It didn't really satisfy the urge in and of itself, but after a couple minutes my body would realize it wasn't thirsty anymore and the craving went away.

But I also second WinoGelato's post. If your soda habit isn't hindering your goals or nutrition, then there isn't really a need to quit.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    alloyd815 wrote: »
    I still struggle. I drink diet which is horrible for you and caffeine free. I quit completely for a while... need to do it again.

Why is diet soda horrible for you?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    alloyd815 wrote: »
    I still struggle. I drink diet which is horrible for you and caffeine free. I quit completely for a while... need to do it again.

What evidence do you have that it is horrible for you? Or is it just because "they" (whoever "they" are) say it's bad?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Like others I switched to diet to save calories
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I used to drink way too much soda. Those flavor packets you put in bottles of water got me off of it for the most part. I also drank sparkling waters a lot until I figured out it's basically diet soda. Now I drink seltzer water like Arrowhead sparkling water, or LaCroix. It's kind of an acquired taste as it's just carbonated water and flavor, but I love them. I also drink diet now if I want a soda. I was on the "Diet is bad, Mkay" bandwagon, but have since learned (like everything else) it's fine in moderation.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I switched to zero calorie flavored seltzer water, I wanted the bubbles and fizzy more than sugar.

There are many brands that make it, I enjoy different flavors of different brands so I don't have a favorite brand. Here is what I am talking about: https://www.schweppesus.com/products/sparkling-water

• VolsG8rH8r
    VolsG8rH8r Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use to drink about 5 a day. I've slowly cut it back to 1 a day to 1 every other day. I don't like diet. I like them too much to stop cold turkey.
  • TeamNemesisSteve
    TeamNemesisSteve Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey almost 5 years ago. I don’t really miss them anymore. Water, coffee, tea, juices and water packets have become my go to drink fixes. I drink water probably 75% of the time.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If it’s in the house I’ll drink it. I can live without it buuuuut to get to that point I have to cut it out completely and just go through withdrawal. It usually takes a week or so but once I get over that hump I don’t even miss it. I find, for myself at least, it’s totally addictive
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    vladamisa wrote: »
    buy the small 4oz cans and drink those that way you limit it. I would not ever suggest you go diet or zero simply because the fake sugars " 0 calorie " will do you more harm than the other. It may take you a while but eventually you will be able to go a day without it and wont even realize it.

Nope
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    vladamisa wrote: »
    buy the small 4oz cans and drink those that way you limit it. I would not ever suggest you go diet or zero simply because the fake sugars " 0 calorie " will do you more harm than the other. It may take you a while but eventually you will be able to go a day without it and wont even realize it.

How so?
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have gone years without having either regular or diet soda, just drinking water or coffee.

Then, on "My 600 lb life" it was stated that the carbonation contributes to re-expanding the stomach of the gastric surgery patients and was prohibited for them. So I avoided carbonated beverages when I first started back on the healthy lifestyle quest. I feared contributing to my "bottomless pit syndrome".

But, currently I drink several a day. I like the fizz, the "bite". I used to have at least one glass of wine at the end of the day, and believe it or not, the diet soda apparently fulfills whatever "bite" the wine was fulfilling. Sometimes I will drink carbonated flavored water, but there is a slightly "salty" taste to me, that doesn't satisfy the way the sweet fizz does.

I also use diet soda to make my tummy feel full when I don't feel like eating. (I still get the urge to eat that has nothing to do with hunger and everything to do with some emotion I need to be mindful of.)

Mostly I drink water though.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I do. I drink diet. I used to be a huge Dr Pepper fanatic and drank a 32 oz from the gas station every single day. I switched to diet, and it was hard at first because it doesn't taste the same, but now I prefer it. i can't drink regular Dr Pepper anymore, it's way too sweet and sugary. Now i have one diet dr pepper can a day.