When did you learn to be satisfied with smaller portions?

Options
I'm down about 40 pounds from my highest weight with about 50 to go. I'm at a point where I am totally able to control my portions when I'm eating my normal home-cooked food, but when I get restaurant takeout or fast food or salty snacks, I still want to eat ridiculous portions. I'm fortunate that I'm not so busy that I have to rely on quick options all the time, so this is mostly avoidable, but I'd still like to get takeout once in a while without feeling like I want more than necessary. Did you experience this? Is this something that you can grow out of or will I always be negotiating with my inner fat kid?

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,737 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss! That’s great. I don’t have any real advice for you other than when I know I am eating out I plan around it to have a maintenance day or to exercise to earn extra calories. When I’m paying for it like that I feel I need to eat it.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have smaller portions of calorie-dense foods and larger portions of foods that aren't calorie dense. I'll eat a whole can of soup with a whole bag of steam-in-bag veggies at one sitting.

If I want to eat out at a restaurant and the only way I can meet my calorie goal for that meal is with small portions, I just remind myself that I can get really full the next time I'm home.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 months before I noticed that I would eat smaller portions without thinking about it.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    A month before realizing my stomach capacity had shrunk.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Eating slower has helped me. Keeping my mind on the rate of speed I'm chewing means smaller portions don't vanish so quickly and it means I don't stare disatisifedly at an empty plate as often. Its hard to bring myself back to that awareness again and again, but has its rewards.
  • vladamisa
    vladamisa Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with Amuse, I have only recently been back on my try to eat smaller portions and have a little help. Whenever I had first decided to eat less and workout more I lost great but I had knee surgery again and that meant no workouts for a while with only eating. I went from having small portions to they slowly got bigger until I was back where I was plus 20lbs. One way that you could help with this is if you ask for a togo box when you order if its a sit down and just put half of the food into the togo box. That way you can enjoy the meal again at a later date and its half the calories of what the entire meal would have been.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Some of my portions are small, some not.

At one point I was eating large portions of low cal food, and making a point of stopping to look at it before I started eating and say to myself, “This is a lot of food.” Why? I didn’t want to think I was deprived. Deprived is a plan killer. I try to think in terms of living with some reasonable limits.

One thing that’s changed is my idea of feeling full. I used to regularly eat heavy meals to the point of immobility. I don’t like that anymore. If I do end up feeling uncomfortable you full eating to many veggies, it doesn’t last long.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Eating slow and really listening and being aware of a satisfaction level.
    Before I was just gorging just to gorge and going back for seconds. Now....one small plateful and realizing I am fine and will not starve. A lot of self talk to begin a new good habit!
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Luckily, during the week, I am in a situation where my breakfast and lunch are consumed in such a way, that it may take me an hour to finish. Add to that, my breakfast is a smoothie (lots of whipped in air makes it seem huge) and my lunch is usually a huge salad (mostly low cal vegetables). Dinner is eaten in a normal fashion, and nutritious and tasty.

It's Friday afternoon through Sunday night where I am aware of how small normal portions are. I try to allow myself more flexibility on the weekend, and those calories quickly add up in calorie dense foods like pizza, chips/crisps, etc. I try to incorporate the foods I used to eat in portions that contributed to my weight gain, in single portions, but many times feel it just isn't worth it. I don't want to fall into the trap of feeling deprived though, so I keep them in rotation. It's hard though not to just pick at the pizza until I fall asleep, or keep the cookie jar next to me, dipping in at will, but, I keep reminding myself of what I really want. To maintain.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I kind of stepped myself down with portions, if that makes sense. For example, chips are something that I would eat huge portions of before. I started with weighing out 3 servings at once (all logged of course), then 2.5, then 2, etc.

I've also worked on getting away from volume eating even in scenarios where I can fit whatever it is into my calories. For example, I switched to Chilly Cow from Halo Top, because Chilly Cow comes in half pints. Although I can easily fit an entire pint of Halo Top into my calorie day, I wanted to totally get away from both the mindset of eating an entire pint of ice cream and the physical feeling of stuffing myself with an entire pint of ice cream.

I've also worked on slowing down and really tasting and enjoying my food. The other day I went to the movies and got a box of Sour Patch Watermelons and I surprised myself when they lasted throughout almost the entire movie. "Old me" was always practically finishing my snacks during the previews!

My stomach adjusted pretty quickly and I will say that a great majority of the time I no longer crave large portions of food. Even being overweight, I've always hated that really full/stuffed feeling, so that may have helped. Sometimes mentally I'll want to keep eating, but my stomach isn't really having it. In the past I have allowed myself to overeat in one sitting for special occasions (like my birthday) but I paid for it with severe heartburn and stomach pains, even though "old me" ate like that most weekends!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I kind of stepped myself down with portions, if that makes sense. For example, chips are something that I would eat huge portions of before. I started with weighing out 3 servings at once (all logged of course), then 2.5, then 2, etc.

I've also worked on getting away from volume eating even in scenarios where I can fit whatever it is into my calories. For example, I switched to Chilly Cow from Halo Top, because Chilly Cow comes in half pints. Although I can easily fit an entire pint of Halo Top into my calorie day, I wanted to totally get away from both the mindset of eating an entire pint of ice cream and the physical feeling of stuffing myself with an entire pint of ice cream.

I've also worked on slowing down and really tasting and enjoying my food. The other day I went to the movies and got a box of Sour Patch Watermelons and I surprised myself when they lasted throughout almost the entire movie. "Old me" was always practically finishing my snacks during the previews!

My stomach adjusted pretty quickly and I will say that a great majority of the time I no longer crave large portions of food. Even being overweight, I've always hated that really full/stuffed feeling, so that may have helped. Sometimes mentally I'll want to keep eating, but my stomach isn't really having it. In the past I have allowed myself to overeat in one sitting for special occasions (like my birthday) but I paid for it with severe heartburn and stomach pains, even though "old me" ate like that most weekends!

What's interesting in my case is that I absolutely can and do have small portions of snack foods. Even before weight loss I often had single serving stuff like chips and ice cream. If I had access to more, I ate more just because it was there, but if I was buying something because I wanted it specifically, I usually just bought one serving and didn't think to buy more. When I decided to lose weight, the only snack food I had to work on not overeating was nuts, which I cut out completely to start - they were just too ingrained into my daily habits that I had to uproot the whole thing.

Snack portions are not a problem for me because I eat them for enjoyment, not to satisfy hunger. My problem is controlling portions of regular meals for which I'm actually hungry. My stomach doesn't seem to be "the shrinking" kind.
  • birdiebon
    birdiebon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I still have to remind myself that it won't kill me to be a little hungry but I still don't necessarily like it!
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly training myself to feel full on smaller portions. At fast food places I get the kids meals, or if I'm sharing a meal I take a smaller portion and let the other person have the rest. I also buy kids ready meals that I add extra veg to, and I eat off side plates about 21cm in diameter, which helps . I try to eat slower and chew more thoroughly, which is easier to do with veg. I pause between bites and concentrate on how I can feel myself getting fuller. It's a process, but I'm getting there 😊
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I hear what you are saying. I also have lost 40 pounds and still have that discussion with myself when I go out to eat. And plan to lose another 70. Much easier to control at home, because the food scale is right there and I weigh everything first. And all snacks are done at beginning of week.

What I do when I go out. When I order my meal, I ask them to bring me the box right away, and I put half of the meal in the to go box. Some places do for me, and bring it out later. This has helped me control, what I eat at the moment.
    As for fast food, other than one chick fil outing I have stayed away totally. It stayed within calorie allowance. I just sort of whined to myself when I got home and realized it was 28 carbs. But I enjoyed it, so figured ok one meal one day out of the week. Not a big deal. I wish more restaurants used smaller plates instead of going the opposite direction of using platters for food.
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I try to add in healthier sides like steamed veggies or salad, eat that first with a tall glass of water, then slowly enjoy my entree. Usually by the time I'm done I'm full and satisfied.