Having some trouble with sugars

Options
sh0ck
sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
So this morning I am having a medium banana and 1/4 cup of golden raisins. Add that to the little bit of sugar in my oatmeal and I am already OVER on my sugar for the day.

Right now I was also planning on having some cherries for lunch which would give me nearly DOUBLE the amount of sugar that is recommended. I know there are a lot of other nutrients in raw fruits but I don't really know why 3 servings of fruit in one day will put me 2x the amount of recommended sugar.

Does anyone have any advice on this. Should I just eat less fruit (even though it is not like I am going completely overboard with it)? It's a bit frustrating.

Replies

• jennyocox
    jennyocox Posts: 143
    Options
    I just ignore the fruit sugars. As long as I'm under quota without them I'm happy enough. Fruit sugars are good. Don't reduce your fruit intake, that seems counter-intuitive
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here tend not to worry about sugar from fruit as it's natural sugars, but if the sugar came from say a chocolate bar, that would be bad and something to feel bad about. This was something I found when I introduced more fruit to my diet!
  • DIVATRUFFEL0116
    Options
    Well that is my same concern since I have been eating package oatmeal and adding raisins.
  • MintyStarshine
    Options
    When I'm on my regularly planned meals (which I haven't been lately but I'm getting back on track), I don't go over my sugar by very much. Here is an example of a common day for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/fireflyastoria?date=2011-05-05

I don't add sugar to anything but I still manage to eat 2 cups of strawberries, a serving of sweetened oatmeal, 2 roma tomatoes, a serving of baby carrots, some salsa, and two slices of bread as my major sugar sources. I also try to keep my carbs limited to 40-50g per meal so as to not raise my blood sugar levels too high.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have hyperinsulinemia and have to severely limit my sugars too, so I just don't eat fruit much any more. You can get the same nutrients, without the sugar, from veggies. If I get a craving, I satisfy my sweet tooth with fruit- or chocolate-flavored protein powders.

Or if Mom says "we just got in some fresh strawberries," and I know I'll be visiting her Saturday, I make sure my Saturday menu has no other sugar in *anything.* That way I can eat some of those strawberries. If you feel you must have fruit, just plan ahead & do your research. See which fruits are highest in sugar (like bananas & raisins) and avoid them. I'm pretty sure fresh fruit has less sugar per volume than dried fruit, too...

It's all a learning process. Once you learn & remember which fruits will work best for you, it will get easier. Good luck!
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So I just googled this and most of the websites mention that most of the recommended daily sugar intakes are in reference to ADDED sugars (i.e. non-naturally occuring sugars). I assume this is referring to the processed/refined sugars in sodas, etc...

I am still going to do a bit of research but it looks like maybe the naturally occuring sugars from fruits might not count towards the recommended daily "added" sugar intake.
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    Bananas andthe Raisins are 2 fruits that are high in sugar. more so than an apple. but I think is long as you're getting sugars from fruits instead of processed sugar that you're doing okay
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, and I don't even look at sugars--they're unimportant in my situation. I look at total carbs and total fiber for a meal. The fiber I subtract from the carbs. My blood sugar ROCKS, and I eat a banana or two a day, plus a pear or an orange.

I ignore sugars. Don't even track them. My A1c dropped from 6.9 to 5.7 in just under three months, and I never once paid attention to my sugars--just my carbs.

Good luck!

Kris
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good. I know for me, the more fruit (and vegetables) I eat, the more I feel satisfied and the more I lose. I just don't worry about those sugars.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of fruit... An apple for my snack, a pluot at lunch, dinner I have almost half a cantelope, and then for dessert I have homemade berry pie, (low sugar/splenda) and I can tripple or quadruple my sugar levels...

I don't have any problem losing weight, I don't get the bloating feeling that i get with processed sugars, and I feel GREAT!

When fruit starts making me fat, maybe then I will cut back on the sugar.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will say "what works for you would not work for me" but I pay no attention to sugar whatsoever. Matter of fact, I try to eat as much junkfood as I possibly can, because I love it, and I continue to get leaner. Also, I have never felt better in my life.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit has a TON of sugar. Bananas have the highest sugar, lowest fiber of the fruits.

But I don't think it's necessary to obsess over sugar levels. Fruit is good for you. 2-3 servings a day should be fine.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So this morning I am having a medium banana and 1/4 cup of golden raisins. Add that to the little bit of sugar in my oatmeal and I am already OVER on my sugar for the day.

Right now I was also planning on having some cherries for lunch which would give me nearly DOUBLE the amount of sugar that is recommended. I know there are a lot of other nutrients in raw fruits but I don't really know why 3 servings of fruit in one day will put me 2x the amount of recommended sugar.

Does anyone have any advice on this. Should I just eat less fruit (even though it is not like I am going completely overboard with it)? It's a bit frustrating.

My opinions have changed regarding sugar found in fruit, from it's great to depends on your situation.

Watching my sugar and weight, I am a type 2 diabetic that has been bed ridden now for my 4th week. I had to really control what I ate in order to not gain weight as I walked about 10 miles a day, up to when my lower back pain forced me to bed. That and what Gary Taubes said about why carbs are not a problem unless you eat sugar (he wasn't specific as to what type of sugar). I cut down/cut out sugar from fruit (my last banana was a few days ago) and I tried to reduce sugars from all sources except my starchy foods (brown rice and potato) and veggies. I actually lost 7 lbs (I went from 162 to 167 and today 160). I attribute this to cutting out as much sugar as I could and concentrating on eating enough calories and getting my nutrients.

So, I say again, it depends what you want to accomplish and what you are willing to do to get there.