Help in planning a home gym

2»

Replies

• mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Thanks RickinHouston and mutantspicy. I was assuming that the wood floor would struggle with the weight of the equipment, and I would have to take it up then lay matting directly on concrete beneath. Any thoughts?

Depending on the type of wood, you are probably correct in that assumption. Hardwood floors probably could handle the weight, but would get dented easily. Either way the wood floor isn't going to help and may actually cause problems, as you are considering.
  • RickInHouston
    RickInHouston Posts: 13 Member
    I would recommend the thick plastic squares over the wood. Hopefully it won't hurt the finish over time. I have the gym grade rubber over the plywood (unfinished) floor.

Will see if I can post a pic, later.
  • RickInHouston
    RickInHouston Posts: 13 Member
    Here. Wow, it's messy! I guess my wife is right.

auuvhgx01bfc.jpg
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Wow! That doesn't look at all messy to me - it looks great! Is that a water-rower in the corner? Nice!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2018
    Rogue Fitness has a foldable Power Rack. I'm sure you could find one in the UK too. It folds into the wall when not in use.

This is what I really want, though. If you're talking "neat and clean" this is so cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdxb3RXqdI4
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Here. Wow, it's messy! I guess my wife is right.

auuvhgx01bfc.jpg

It doesn't look messy to me
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    My horse stall mats are placed over floating click-wood flooring system. The slab is concrete. The horse stall mats tend to separate so it would be a good idea to frame them in with a wood border.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    bodybuilding.com equipment forum has some UK members that would give you great suggestions for quality stuff. Some of them can get pretty OCD though so if you go there beware.

I still say power rack either full or half. I had a full rack but a much nicer half rack fell into my lap so I have that now. The footprint on the floor of the half rack is larger than that of a full rack but it takes up less room overall. Being that your in the UK I'm not sure about the stall mats you might be able to find. you might consider building a weight lifting platform and securing your power rack to this. You would buy less rubber flooring in the long run and not have to replace or rip up your current floor.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Off to lurk for a while on bodybuilding.com!