Attempting Again to Make a Serious Lifestyle Change

Options
Hi there,
3 years ago I tried MyFitnessPal and was pretty active on it, ready to lose some serious weight and change the way I eat and live so I could be a healthier me. Obviously, I’m writing this 3 years later to tell you that didn’t work out too long. I’m at the worst weight I have ever been, trying to better my mental health, dealing with losing my job and have lost a lot of loved ones which cause me to eat and not be motivated to exercise. I decided to start sharing me story and try this app out again to help me try to become a better me. Life is full of second chances and I firmly believe that it’s okay to fail as long as you pick yourself up and try again. Any support on here would be greatly appreciated as I’m doing this alone!

Replies

• mej2255
    mej2255 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have had Myfitnesspal, and had started to loose the weight, but then went back to WW (which I was successful at) However I think I need to be more mindful, so I am back to this program. I lost 2lbs last week, I feel more in control of my caloric intake. Let's see if we can motivated together. Good Luck!
  • kathan01
    kathan01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, feel free to add me.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    MFP works if you do. I've been on here at least five years, I'm now losing the weight I regained after initial success. Maintenance is the hardest part obviously. I learned there is what I call "MFP mojo", meaning a true mental committment to losing the weight. I had sort of "snap" in my head the day my wife bought me 42 waist pants. It was that last straw moment when you make a mental decision you have had enough. I caution you about seeking support to get you through this. It has to come from within or you will fail. That being said, you are dead on about picking yourself up and starting again. Getting back on the wagon is something I do at least once a week. When I eat an Oreo it's a minor fall off the wagon, when I stop at two and move on, I get back on the wagon. Repeat as necessary. Consider joining a challenge to help yourself, I find a little competition makes the journey more fun.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group
  • ddianed4947
    ddianed4947 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with mulecanter - it has to come from within. However, you also need to be in a supportive environment. No one does it alone. I have tried many "diets" - WW, Atkins, Whole30, Grapefruit, Body Type, etc. It comes down to a mental shift - something gives (like the size 42 pants or for me a picture showing "all of me" ). This time, my husband is onboard. We are both counting calories. All the research showed us it is the calories in/calories out equation, refocusing after slipping, and keeping the purpose mindful. Keep the latter front and center! I have many years of "using food" (sounds like "using drugs!) for emotional support - you know, the pint of Ben and Jerry's when you lose a job, get dumped, are exhausted - that I need to undo. Consider the thought, feeling, behavior connection.

If competition, positive affirmations, pictures, etc. works, use it. Do what it takes. You can do it!

• divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't working, keeping a routine and rituals/structure really helped me. Starting off the day with physical exercise put me on path to drop the weight (60+ lbs), but it ended up giving me so much mental clarity/strength/focus which helped me more than anything. I started feeling like I could tackle the day, and do more things that were self-care and self-love. Whether it is just going for a walk, or taking a class, or something that gets you out up and out of bed and moving your body, I found the rest started to follow.
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me, I'm in a similar boat! We can do this!
  • Jenean125
    Jenean125 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds pretty familiar! I also had good success with MFP several years ago too...but now that I think about it, it was almost 8 years ago. I was faithful to log every bite and stay within my calorie goal for almost 8 months and lost 42 lbs. I can’t tell you anything specific that made me slack off, but it happened and of course I gained it all back plus a lot more. I have come back over and over and tried again, but obviously I wasn’t as committed or I wouldn’t be at my highest weight ever now! Now I’m also trying again, again. I’ve already been logging into the app every day for over a month now and had lost almost 15 lbs quickly, but in the last couple of weeks I’ve gained it all back...I haven’t actually been logging my food or eating the way I should. Just the truth. Tomorrow is my real day one. For me it’s all about the food and logging. Physical activity will have to wait until I have lost a good amount of weight. Over the last year I’ve had to deal with some new health issues and as a result I can barely walk at the moment. I don’t want to be down (physically) like this the rest of my life. I already have to depend on my husband too much as it is, and I don’t want him to get weary with it all when there is something I can do about it! I know we can do this...keep our eyes on the prize and just take it one meal at a time! Good luck to you!!
  • jalindhorst
    jalindhorst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! Every one of your responses have been phenomenal! You all are so inspiring, positive and full of resources that it made my day reading them and knowing I’m really not alone! Thank you and I hope everyone is going out there and doing the best they can! Even after I didn’t sleep well I still made sure I got in a walk this morning and it’s my second day of logging so off to a good start!

P.S. Any recommendations on good walking shoes to get for heavier beginners like me? Also how do you relieve lower back pain while walking if anyone has ever had that?
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Wow! Every one of your responses have been phenomenal! You all are so inspiring, positive and full of resources that it made my day reading them and knowing I’m really not alone! Thank you and I hope everyone is going out there and doing the best they can! Even after I didn’t sleep well I still made sure I got in a walk this morning and it’s my second day of logging so off to a good start!

P.S. Any recommendations on good walking shoes to get for heavier beginners like me? Also how do you relieve lower back pain while walking if anyone has ever had that?

Get a good pair of running shoes (a running store can fit you if you want "perfect"), they are great for walking too. Spend $60 or more. I like Asics personnally. Stretching before and after is always good. A foam roller is helpful for hip pain in particular. Lower back is tougher, stretch, work on abdominal strength, take anti-inflammatory as needed, ice. Posture! Don't do too much too fast. Ramp up your walks in a patient manner. Walking is a terrific way to burn calories--good on you! I recommend podcasts/audio books while you walk, great way to pass the time and even learn something.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, @jalindhorst! Great job getting your walk in!!! One of the hardest parts after not having a job was keeping my body in motion. I was so de-conditioned. All I could do was walk. The more you do, the more conditioned your heart will get. Do you wear a fitbit or any kind of step tracker? I liked to set different goals as a way to motivate - whether it was distance, duration, etc. The more you keep going, you can also add in little ways to get your heart rate up.

The more I started taking care of my body (and mind), the more motivated I was to fuel it the right way and for me, the nutrition followed. You will find what works for you!

Just get a good pair of running sneakers, I agree. You want something that gives good support. I also like a good cushion sock - balega, feetures, etc.

Keep at it!
  • jalindhorst
    jalindhorst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @divcara thank you so much for the support!! I do have a step tracker and app to support me with starting out and it really helps to keep me mindful of and accountable of my daily or weekly goals! And thanks to you and @mulecanter for the suggestions on show gear, I definitely need to get something more fitting and supportive!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

sketchers are super comfy for walking
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    There's loads of super supportive people on here - get friend requesting!
  • MrSmooth2017
    MrSmooth2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The way to think about it is to try to make a lot of very small changes, and these then add up to a big change. Also its more manageable, and if you fail at one of them you don't give up on them all. Thats the way I looked at it.

Its very easy at first to look at everything and try and half your calories, do tonnes of exercise, cut out lots of things but the danger of that is that it can be too much of a change, so if something happens you can quite easily go back to the old ways.

One bad day doesn't ruin a week, one bad week doesn't ruin a month, one bad month doesn't ruin a year. There's always the rest of the time to be on target.

Commitment is a lot easier when its dealt with in smaller more manageable packages.

So you didn't get to go to the gym in the morning? Park a bit farther from work and walk a bit more.
    So you ate too much last night, just eat a bit less the day after.

There is always the optimal thing you want to achieve in the day with regards to diet, food, exercise but if you plan how to mitigate day by day if you don't achieve one of those you are far less likely to just give in on all of it.

Just try and make it easier to do.

Running is ok during summer, but when its wet or cold its a different story. You can see where the failure could be, so either plan to do in a gym, or pick another exercise for when the weather is bad.

Exercise is one of the best forms of beating depression, so it can go hand in hand.

I started off walking, moved to cycling, when it got cold, moved onto crossfit, never looked back. Now I do them all.

Pick any exercise, eat a bit less, do a little bit more and it will come. it really is that simple. If you have motivation issues, try and pick something that you can do with others. It doesn't have to be with friends, can be with strangers.

Good luck.

• CheerMom715
    CheerMom715 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You and I are in the same boat. MFP has helped me in the past - it's great - but boy have I fallen off the wagon. So here I am again.

I don't know how it happened, I've always been health conscious and stayed pretty fit - but I am at least 15 pounds overweight. Annual bloodwork came up lousy to boot - high Triglycerides and Low HDL. My anxiety is off the charts now that I am home from work for the summer, and have no routine.

So I got started again a few days ago. Logging everything. I am also pushing with an hour a day on my treadmill, and I am walking up hill like I'm being chased by zombies. It makes me feel WONDERFUL. I have to remember this feeling more than anything in the world. I feel so much better when I am exercising - and I've added a gallon of water to the day as well.

I just got fed up....didn't wait for Monday, January or the start of anything really. Just got started.

Going to try not to sweat any mistakes, and I'm going to try like hell to not make any excuses. I don't bounce back the way I used to ... I'm 47 now, and it's time to get my stuff together. And keep it together.

Good luck. :)

Kim
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    BUT... you are back!! That is what counts! Now what matters most is where you go from here. I joined MFP in January of 2017. MFP became part of my daily life. It is a great tool and it works if you utilize it... including the social aspect. Add friends that will encourage and inspire you. Know that there are some members who are self-proclaimed Dr's who know you and your needs better than even you do though.... some advice you will need to take with a grain of salt. Sometimes you just have to kick things around a bit to find what works best for YOU as an individual. I highly recommend purchasing a digital food scale if you haven't already. Often what we think is a serving is more than.... Also... take progress pictures (starting now). You don't have to share them with anyone else.... just for your eyes if you like. These pictures will be great for you to see your progress as time passes. You can do this!! Just do it for the right reason.... for yourself! Set goals and stay focused. You Got This!!!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    When I wasn't working, keeping a routine and rituals/structure really helped me. Starting off the day with physical exercise put me on path to drop the weight (60+ lbs), but it ended up giving me so much mental clarity/strength/focus which helped me more than anything. I started feeling like I could tackle the day, and do more things that were self-care and self-love. Whether it is just going for a walk, or taking a class, or something that gets you out up and out of bed and moving your body, I found the rest started to follow.

Totally agree!! You have to put yourself first, something most of us feel guilty doing. I do the treadmill at home first thing. I don’t have time to dread it. A good walk is equally good. Planning your dinner early so you can prolog calories, choosing foods that you truly like so you can be satisfied’ and having snacks you like all help.

• susiemcmac
    susiemcmac Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat too. Back on for 2 weeks now and already lost 6.4 pounds. I feel focused, mindful and more in control. My plan is to get to the gym/workout 6 days a week but am mindful that sometimes life will get in the way. I joined a 10 day challenge that has been really helpful and have logged everything. Feel free to add me as a friend - we got this!
  • sdanemrtn
    sdanemrtn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position. Have picked it up, it worked, have quit, gained more than what I lost, and started the cycle over. This is the last start for me. Would love to help support all of you, if you need a Newbie in your corner.