Wine

Options
2»

Replies

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    The only time I drink wine is when I am out to dinner, and then I limit myself to a glass of prosecco. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine a few nights a week and occasionally have a beer or two, and like anything else if you keep track of the calories as others have stated, you will lose weight just fine. I've been in maintenance for 3 years and lost over 150 lbs before hitting my goal.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wine makes me retain a lot of water. Beer makes me pee so much I actually lose weight the next day. Both fluctuations even out after a few days.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    PHOTOCHAP wrote: »
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I factor in alcohol within my allowance but would rather have a double vodka and Diet Coke than a glass of wine, i can make it last most of the night so I'm not tempted to finish the bottle!

You have a better resolve than I.. I couldn't stop before the bottle was empty. My alcohol intake bumps up my calorie count so much that I just don't bother adding it to my food MFP intake. I've been losing 1lb a week for the past 20 weeks and I still drink enormously daily. What the heck is going on?.. I've no idea :|

I also found that alcohol didn't really affect my weight loss. I'm drinking less these days, but in the past when I would have maybe 3 or 4 glasses of bourbon in a night I would only log the first 2 and leave out the rest. And I still lost about a pound a week as expected. I'm having more wine now, so I'll be interested to see if there is a difference.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    Drink up
  • cassiebajjey
    cassiebajjey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Been two weeks since I've had a drink. I was spending all of my calories on stouts. I wanted to take a break and approach my stouts again with a clear mind. One or two a week is all I can afford with my goals!
  • VermontDan
    VermontDan Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just poured tonight's bottle of wine in the decanter. I frequently have two glasses of red wine for dinner, once or twice a week with pasta. As long as I stay under 1550 calories I'm good. I'll usually plan lower calorie breakfasts and lunch on those days.
  • Pfraidenburg01
    Pfraidenburg01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I dont drink that often but I had a glass of wine with my salad and it actually took away my nightly monster craving
    for sweets, which surprised me. I guess because it already has sugar in it. Was so worth it though. I was still within my calories for the day and I felt very relaxed after that.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    As long as I factor my wine/alcohol intake into my daily calories will it effect my weight loss? I Know alcohol has a lot of sugar in it.

Actually, that's not true. Alcohol and sugar are two different macros. So saying alcohol has a lot of sugar in it is like saying fat has a lot of protein in it.

Wine, which is a liquid that contains alcohol but also contains other things (mostly water), only has about 1 gram of sugar in a 5 fluid ounce pour.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am a wind drinker. I have allow myself enough calories to be able to enjoy my wine.
  • mojo4717
    mojo4717 Posts: 256 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Mmm wine 🍷
    I used to log alcohol and still lose weight even when I couldn’t log what I couldn’t remember drinking 😂
  • Tiagosoares17
    Tiagosoares17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As a Wine Producer and Online Fitness Coach, I can tell you that I drink and am in good shape all year-round.

Tip: Drink dry wines and count the calories as "fat". That way, if drinking doesn't lead you to consume extra calories, you won't have any problems losing weight.

Oh, and wine doesn't have lot's of sugar. In fact, most wines have less than 10 grams of sugar per liter. This, of course, if you stay with dry wines.

This summer try some Vinho Verde DOC wines, and you won't regret it ;)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    Most of the cals in wine or any alcoholic beverage comes from the alcohol itself, not sugar.

"A 5-ounce glass of wine typically contains 110 calories, 5 grams of carbohydrates, and about 13 grams of alcohol (which accounts for 91 of the calories)."[Citation omitted]

Virtually all of the sugar in wine is lost in the fermentation process and based on the example about there's no more that 1.25g of sugar in a 5 oz glass of wine, which means wine has virtually NO nutritional value whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong.

I like my wine too and have a rack full of very expensive bottles but, when you drink alcohol, all you do is load up on cals and, if you have specific macro goals, as do I, it reaks havoc on your diet, and I often have to exercise more to burn off the alcohol cals so that I can eat more to meet my macro goals.