Pre Diabetes scare

Options
Hello, my name is Yoli. I am 24 years old and had been told by my doctor that I may be pre diabetic and that she wants me to go get checked for that. I am nervous. I know I gained so much weight in the last 2 years but I didn't think it was out of control. I know how to eat healthy, but idk if I can keep eating healthy and I don't want diabetes. I want to lose weight and I want to keep eating healthy. But I'm scared..

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was your age I wasn’t sure if I could remember to take a pill every day. The time came when I had to and I figured ie out.

Diabetes is a manageable disease and it is very possible to delay onset even for decades.

It pays pays to get yourself educated now, and to manage your food intake. Baby steps. Every good decision now adds up to years of good health.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Yoli. I am 24 years old and had been told by my doctor that I may be pre diabetic and that she wants me to go get checked for that. I am nervous. I know I gained so much weight in the last 2 years but I didn't think it was out of control. I know how to eat healthy, but idk if I can keep eating healthy and I don't want diabetes. I want to lose weight and I want to keep eating healthy. But I'm scared..

Don't know what your weight is, but I was in the same situation at 50 years old. Fortunately for me, I only had to lose 10 lbs and that took me out of the danger zone.

I've continued on the healthier lifestyle ever since. Don't be scared. You can do it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I recommend looking into doctors Sarah Halberg and Richard Bernstein. Both have excellent advice fir reversing insulin resistance. Bernstein has a good book and Hallberg has some very good YouTube videos.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Do what everyone else said, but don't be scared. This is COMPLETELY manageable by eating well and exercising. Your doc said pre-diabetic, so you can absolutely do this! I went through the same thing so I know the emotion wheel you're feeling. (yes, diabetes is scary, give the disease its due, but you aren't there yet buttercup)

You already said you know how to eat well, that's half the battle. Now, to keep eating healthy, well, that's not as hard as you think. After a short time, you kind of get into a routine and eventually you don't really think about eating healthy - you just eat, and it happens to be healthy most of the time. For exercise, find something that you enjoy. I like being in a gym, and doing "gym" things. But, I don't like making my own routines, so some kind of previously decided structure was necessary for me to even go, let alone really enjoy myself. After trying different classes and gyms, I found that CrossFit was exactly what I needed, and I've not ever had this much fun. So, I keep going because I want to, not because I need to.

I probably said that all wrong, but hopefully you understand. Eating well and exercising are both habit-forming activities. Sauteeing chicken breast while rice is in the cooker and sweet potatoes/broccoli is in the oven just happens. Going to the gym, or class, just happens. Starting is the hard part. Get past that, and you'll be just fine.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Use that fear as motivation to lose weight. I have been eating/drinking since beginning of Summer. I am now in pre-diabetic range. I know when I reach a certain weight it's time to get back on track, get focused and do what i need to do to get the weight down to put me back in normal range.

On top that i see my father who has lost most of his teeth and now has to get permanent dentures because the diabetes has rotted all his teeth. That's motivation enough for me!!!!
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    All I can say is to deal with this right away. My husband was warned, he didn't take action and now he is diabetic. Look at the website for American Diabetes Association. I believe they talk about pre-diabetes and how to keep it from becoming diabetes. Right now, my husband and I are both following a low carb diet and it really isn't bad at all. In fact, we are really enjoying it.
  • yolizamora13
    yolizamora13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of your replies!!(:
    I found everything you all had to say helpful! 🤗
  • Pete2765
    Pete2765 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I'm type 2 diabetes but I have it under control with diet and exercise, I was 17.7 st but gradually lost 2 st am now running and biking and beating diabetes, so it can be done and this app actually helps because you can track everything. So you go girl!!!
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I had some blood work done last summer because I had dropped 7 lbs "just like that", without trying. My A1C came back as 5.9 (pre-diabetic range). My doctor basically told me to "watch the carbs" and retest in 6 months. I did both, and my A1C had gone down to 5.1 (normal). I used an app on my phone called "carb manager" and kept my total carbs under 150g/day (net carbs averaged about 120 a day).

Best wishes to you. Don't panic. You can get yourself back in the normal range (IF you are pre-diabetic), and even if it were diabetes, diabetes is very manageable with a good diet and exercise!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your post screams with fear, but also with confusion. Getting correct and neutral information on the table, removes confusion, and with confusion, a lot of the fear dissipates too.

Eating healthily is easy and enjoyable. A healthy diet is balanced and varied. You can eat anything in moderation, it's all about portions and proportions, context and frequency. A healthy relationship with food is taking care to feed yourself properly, eating food you like, and allowing yourself to enjoy what you eat.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I guess it's easier to deal with a health condition that makes you really sick right away if you eat the wrong food, like coeliacs, while in your case the consequences are only looming but still far away. The same way that photos of sick or dying people on European cigarette packs help convince some people to stop smoking, but not as much as hoped.

You have to find the will and the strength to make the change. Try to find a love in the food that is better for you. Don't be overly restrictive and enjoy treats every now and then but enjoy your new life. Try to cook food that you think you will enjoy and take it from there. Explore new tastes, spices, ways of preparing. Turn it into a hobby. Be proud of what you put on the table.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It's scary at first but once you understand what it is your body needs and implement a plan to live with it it's actually very manageable. I tend to lean toward the positives and Type 2 got me exercising and eating right years ago which dropped 50+ pounds and has improved many other parts of my life.

Starting very simple in the beginning as you adjust will make huge impacts: Learn what a serving really means. Get a food scale to help with this. Mostly get rid of the sugary drinks. For example: swap Coke for Diet Coke and you will save huge amount of Calories and Carbs from Sugar. Swap rice for Cauliflower rice. Find an exercise you enjoy. Yoga is a great starter exercise but there are benefits even in simple things like going for a walk.

Don't expect much from the doctor. They tend to go "You have diabetes. Exercise and eat better" and they send you out the door with a metformin prescription with very little information.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    It's scary at first but once you understand what it is your body needs and implement a plan to live with it it's actually very manageable. I tend to lean toward the positives and Type 2 got me exercising and eating right years ago which dropped 50+ pounds and has improved many other parts of my life.

Starting very simple in the beginning as you adjust will make huge impacts: Learn what a serving really means. Get a food scale to help with this. Mostly get rid of the sugary drinks. For example: swap Coke for Diet Coke and you will save huge amount of Calories and Carbs from Sugar. Swap rice for Cauliflower rice. Find an exercise you enjoy. Yoga is a great starter exercise but there are benefits even in simple things like going for a walk.

Don't expect much from the doctor. They tend to go "You have diabetes. Exercise and eat better" and they send you out the door with a metformin prescription with very little information.

You are right about the Dr. Got no information from him, so signed up for a diabetes education class in another town and it was great. Not only informative, but also allows you to call and ask questions. 4 hours on the medical part and 4 hours on how to eat. Once I took it, with my husband (who is the diabetic), he's been able to stay in the desired range based on the meals I prepare. It's done us both a world of good.