Self esteem taking a beating

Options
Hey! I had a real low moment at the gym this morning. I was doing shoulder press with a barbell and I caught myself in the mirror and all I saw was a chubby girl with no idea what she was doing.
It cut a little deep.
I told myself that while yes I am chubby and I am just working it out it won't get any better if I let the defeatist fat girl attitude get to me so I finished my sets and 3 x 12 bicep curls too then carried on and hit some other machines in the gym.

If you're reading this and have doubt moments like that just remember that you're only going to be like this if you stop. Keep going! That's the last time you'll look like that in the mirror if you don't stop!

I'm now commenting on friends statuses because I dont ever want them to doubt their journey ❤

You got this!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    oejohnse91 wrote: »
    with no idea what she was doing.
    You can change this in about half a day with some research.

And how was your form on those shoulder presses? That’s the only thing the mirror really tells you. The rest is just chatter in your brain. Tell your brain to shut up when you’re trying to concentrate on your workout.

Good for you for being at the gym. The gym is a great teacher of incrementalism.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Love this!
    I always say for those who are nervous in the gym around other members, especially the ones who are fit and healthy, that they started the gym one day just like you. And they looked like you and "didn't know what they were doing" either.

I see it as inspiring! It's like having your goal walking around in the same room as you and knowing that that's what you're working towards!
  • Chewbac7777
    Chewbac7777 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this when i gain a couple pounds back i get pissed off and ruins part of my day i just have to keep pushing. I have been the same weight for a month and half getting mad. Keep it up
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think many of us have experienced that. Most recently for me was two weeks ago when I saw a picture of myself in a bikini. I plan to put that bikini back on today and going paddle boarding.
    Don’t let that defeatist voice slow you down
  • wuggo
    wuggo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You just lapped everyone that was on the couch
    Keep it up
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Think of all the chubby girls who weren’t in the gym today. Keep it going.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

I for sure felt like that when I first started at the gym. But about 6 months later in that exact same room during a bootcamp class I was at the far side of the room facing the mirror. I saw a semi fit girl doing jumping jacks with a pony tail flopping up and down. I thought she looked great. After a moment I realized it was me!

Keep at it. It only gets better!
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ❤
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    No matter what you think you looked like, you looked a hell of a lot better than all of the people - skinny and fat - sitting on their respective couches! Keep going, you're doing great!