Anyone on phentermine?

Options
In need of supportive friends no negative comments please I'm 27 years old

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To make change happen, you need to get out of your comfort zone. Saying that as neutrally as I can. Welcome!
  • GrazerMcK
    GrazerMcK Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was offered it before and refused. However, that doesn't mean it would have worked.

Use the app to monitor the calorie in take, take notes each day with how you're feeling along with slowly increasing your exercises (even if it's just walking) and see how it goes and just stay in regular contact with the doctor that prescribed it.

Good luck on your journey!
  • ElizQuinn80
    ElizQuinn80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am. I started it May 15 and I've lost 22lbs. You still have to do the work. I'm tracking my calories and eating more protein and less carbs. I'm also exercising 5 days a week. It isn't doing the work for me it's just making it easier. With phentermine I just don't think about food as much and have more energy.

I did Weight Watchers off and on for 2 1/5 years and only lost 20lbs. So the fact that I've lost 22 lbs in less than 3 months is amazing.

I've had very little side effects mainly just dry mouth.
  • Chewbac7777
    Chewbac7777 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have been on it it does work if you watch your carbs. Plenty of water and exercise
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    DH was on it for about 6 months because he had mild sleep apnea and needed to lose weight quickly to reduce is apnea. He lost about 60lbs, he also watched his portions (but did not count calories) and exercised semi-regularly. It did help him lose the weight so he didn't need to stay on his CPAP. He didn't like being on it though. When he quit, he gained back about 10-15lbs over the next 6 months, but didn't gain the whole 60 back.

He is now dieting and exercising to lose the last of the weight he wanted to lose, he only wanted to use the medication to get him out of the danger zone. I can't get him to commit to using MFP though, he finally downloaded happy weight today and realized his weight loss had really plateaued lately and I told him it was probably because he quit logging, no matter what, if I quit logging, I go over.

TLDR, he used it for 6 months, lost 60lbs (necessary for immediate health concern), only gained 10ish back after getting off it.
  • ginathediva
    ginathediva Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Whatever you do be careful with phentermine. I took it for over 5+yrs on and off. Always felt that I needed it. Yes I lost over 60lbs , but once you stop its easy to put back on. Plus it has side effects long term. It led me to two hospital visits. I cant be certain it was completely because of taking it but I feel like it contributed to it. Now i have a heart murmur...i never had before. Just things feel very uneasy in my chest ...I'm just not the same after taking it. Just be careful if taking long term...
  • WeightStripper85
    WeightStripper85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do be careful with phentermine. I took it for over 5+yrs on and off. Always felt that I needed it. Yes I lost over 60lbs , but once you stop its easy to put back on. Plus it has side effects long term. It led me to two hospital visits. I cant be certain it was completely because of taking it but I feel like it contributed to it. Now i have a heart murmur...i never had before. Just things feel very uneasy in my chest ...I'm just not the same after taking it. Just be careful if taking long term...

Wow I'm sorry you're experiencing that. I was told by my doctor phentermine shouldn't be used over 90 days. It should never be used long term. I hope others are also being told this to avoid long term problems.
  • kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am. I started it May 15 and I've lost 22lbs. You still have to do the work. I'm tracking my calories and eating more protein and less carbs. I'm also exercising 5 days a week. It isn't doing the work for me it's just making it easier. With phentermine I just don't think about food as much and have more energy.

I did Weight Watchers off and on for 2 1/5 years and only lost 20lbs. So the fact that I've lost 22 lbs in less than 3 months is amazing.

I've had very little side effects mainly just dry mouth.

I was just wondering how your weight loss journey is? I have been on phentermine since March 2018 and I am stopping this week. I have 10lbs left to lose. I’d love to hear some ideas for continuing to lose after phentermine.
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just started today. I had an appointment this morning and was given a B12 shot along with the prescription. I'm on the 37.5 dose, but he told me to take half a pill the first couple days. I go back in 2 weeks for him to make sure I'm not experiencing any serious side effects. So far today, I've had a nice steady energy and reduced appetite. I've had slight dry mouth, but nothing compared to the ECA stack I took back when I was lifting weights. I had a serious injury last year and had several rounds of steroids (=weight gain) and then was on anti-depressants for about 4 months (=more weight gain). I'm off all meds now, but can't seem to lose any weight. I'm REALLY hoping this works.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Nope. I value my heart valves too much for that.
  • breanne_herrera
    breanne_herrera Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was on phentermine for about a year in my early 20's. It permanently damaged my heart valves as the poster above me mentions and it scares the *kitten* out of me. Found out about 6 years later when my heart was feeling iffy and went in for all kinds of tests. I was much thinner at the time, much larger now, and I still wouldn't touch the stuff. You only get one heart - it's not worth it.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I took it a few years ago. After about 3 days I was so angry and irrationally agitated that I decided to no longer take it.
  • kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    jennicole4 wrote: »
    I just started today. I had an appointment this morning and was given a B12 shot along with the prescription. I'm on the 37.5 dose, but he told me to take half a pill the first couple days. I go back in 2 weeks for him to make sure I'm not experiencing any serious side effects. So far today, I've had a nice steady energy and reduced appetite. I've had slight dry mouth, but nothing compared to the ECA stack I took back when I was lifting weights. I had a serious injury last year and had several rounds of steroids (=weight gain) and then was on anti-depressants for about 4 months (=more weight gain). I'm off all meds now, but can't seem to lose any weight. I'm REALLY hoping this works.

Good Luck. I actually like the med and haven’t had many side effects. I wish I could continue, but I am Smart enough to know that I can’t take it forever. I have just stopped and I’m scared of weight gain.