Strength training exercise calories

Options
Hey just a quick survey of people who do weight training!
Do you add exercise calories when you strength train?

Because when you go to add them in the exercise tab, it doesn’t add excess calories. But there is a weight training option in the cardio section that does add exercise calories?

Do you guys add in exercise calories when you strength/ weight train?

Replies

• snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use my Apple Watch and created an “other” workout titled Strength Training. It is still an estimate of sorts for the burned calories, but has so far been pretty accurate. I do have a pretty high heart rate during the session because my routine involves a more circuit type set of activities with rowing between my sets with the dumbbells. On average an hour long session for me burns around 400 calories per my watch. So far, eating back most of those calories on those days seems to be working with my deficit and cardio burns in other days in relation to my weight lost.

I don’t think I would burn near that amount of calories just doing the weights without the rowing in between my sets. Probably more like 200 calories, maybe 250 for that hour.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes, strength training is under cardio, i log it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use "Weight training, free weights" from the Cardio section.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Like the above poster, I did some research and added my own option called Circuit Training. Mine is about 45 minutes of weights mixed in with some light cardio. I'm sweating by the end of it. I think I have it burning 300 calories. I should use my Fitbit and see what that tells me. I normally eat those calories back.
  • CristinaAnne03
    CristinaAnne03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes I was thinking of starting up with my Fitbit again, strictly for calories burned during weight training
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Tinaa1103 wrote: »
    Yes I was thinking of starting up with my Fitbit again, strictly for calories burned during weight training

I wouldn't bother, it won't be accurate
  • CristinaAnne03
    CristinaAnne03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel like a device that tracks my heart rate while I exercise would be more accurate then just an automated formula in the activities section of MFP though? :/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I feel like a device that tracks my heart rate while I exercise would be more accurate then just an automated formula in the activities section of MFP though? :/

A good read from somebody knowledgeable about the topic: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

With that said, I let my Garmin track my strength workouts. I just don't put a lot of stock in the calorie figure, and wouldn't eat 100% of those calories back. I've also noticed that the wrist-based heart rate is very wonky/inaccurate when lifting weights, and often reads about half of what my heart rate actually is.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    I log/eat mine. Strength training makes me hungrier, and spending those few cals on a pre- or post-lifting snack helps energy/progress/happiness, and hasn't hindered weight loss/maintenance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

For cardio maybe (it can also be poor for cardio) - for strength training no.
    Just log the entire duration of your strength workout as rest periods of 2 - 4 minutes are assumed by the calculation.
  • PhiKapMiin
    PhiKapMiin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I strength train almost daily!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I only count time under tension as far as my workout. Still don't eat back the calories.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I use the option for strength training in MFP. For 2 hours of powerlifting, I get 300ish calories. The MFP estimate is pretty accurate. I've been able successfully cut/bulk a couple of times.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I use the option for strength training in MFP. For 2 hours of powerlifting, I get 300ish calories. The MFP estimate is pretty accurate. I've been able successfully cut/bulk a couple of times.

That’s right in line with my numbers and what mfp gave me. Bulks/cuts went smoothly.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I used to log it, but now I just take it into account when I enter my activity level in MFP goals as my exercise is pretty consistent. So now my overall intake is higher on a daily basis, instead of going up and down depending on the day.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I only count time under tension as far as my workout. Still don't eat back the calories.

I do the same. I usually do interval training and if I do 30 exercises of 50 seconds with 10 seconds off then I don't count 30 minutes training but only 30x50 seconds. I did the same when I was still lifting weight, btw.
  • mlsh69
    mlsh69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes l add mine but usually shave off 10 min or so off the time because if the rest between sets
  • mlsh69
    mlsh69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Of course l usually only rest 15 to 30 sec between sets and try to march during that time, but l still take 10 min off the total time.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes I do body pump as my strength training and luckily it's here under cardio so I can log it.