Generally eating below 1200 and not hungry

Options
JM11413
JM11413 Posts: 5 Member
After poking around in other discussions, the general consensus seems to be that eating below 1200 calories consistently is a bad idea. I didn't know this when I started MFP and I ate 800 or less for a little over a week and now I seem to be used to it. I have upped my calories since then and have been trying to stick closer to 1200, but I find that on some days I'm just not that hungry.

So my question is this: If I don't feel hungry, is eating around 1200 calories per day really that important? I do want to make sure I'm losing fat and not muscle, but it seems to me that if I don't feel hunger, my body might not really need those calories.

I'm 5'3 and 286 lbs. Down 7 lbs. since starting MFP

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    How long has it taken you to lose 7lbs?

Do you weigh all solids with a food scale and measure all liquids to determine your intake?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether you are hungry or not your body needs at least 1200 calories a day just to survive. Consistently undereating is unhealthy. How much you are undereating though will depend on how accurate your logging is. Do you weigh all solids (including prepackaged foods)? Do you use measuring cups and spoons for all liquids? Do you remember to add all condiments and oils you cook with? Do you check your entries against the USDA database and nutritional information on the package? Is you average weight loss over a week around the same or less than the goal you set? If you answered no to any of these you may be eating more than you think. If you answered yes to all then you need to add more calorie dense foods into your diet to add calories but not volume.
  • JM11413
    JM11413 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How long has it taken you to lose 7lbs?

Do you weigh all solids with a food scale and measure all liquids to determine your intake?

I weigh and measure all food/condiments/etc. and the 7lb. loss was recorded on day 14.
  • fruitily
    fruitily Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem is getting enough nutrients. What kind of food do you eat?
  • fruitily
    fruitily Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There are some consequences of low calorie diets. I'm going to go ahead and assume you're a woman, just because of the low calorie count.

* It can mess with your bodies ability to produce estrogen.
    * You might not get enough Iron, B12, D, and Iodine.
    * As you noted yourself, muscle breakdown.
    * It can mess with your immune system.

Now a few of these takes time to get too. They are not eat 800 calories for a week kind of things. Without seeing your diary I'd say you're probably not getting enough protein, at the very least.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    fruitily wrote: »
    I find some days that I slip below the 1200 mark, and MFP lets me know that I am not eating enough. I'm not a medical professional, but I have read that if you don't eat enough, your body goes into survival mode and starts storing fat, not burning it. The biggest thing for me is that I want to make sure my body is getting enough vitamins and minerals to stay healthy. As they say, you didn't gain it all in a day, and you won't lose it all in a day.

@elsie6hickman No. No. No. That is not how survival mode/sarvation mode works.

What is your proof that it isn't how survival mode works? Suppose you tell me how it works, since you are so sure I am wrong,

Because science.

http://www.nowloss.com/starvation-mode-myth.htm

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

It's as nonsensical as saying that if you eat 12,000 calories per day, your body will burn all the fat and you'll stop gaining weight. That's not how it works.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP there are lots of reasons to not go below the bare minimum calories: Adequate nutrition, preserve lean muscle, and too low of calories can cause organ damage, fatigue, hair loss, sallow skin, brittle nails and in generally just isn’t very sustainable.

As a 280 lb petite female you most certainly can, and should, lose weight eating far more than 800, 1000, or even 1200 calories.